Is it easy to ship things home from Italy?

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
jefuchs

Is it easy to ship things home from Italy?

Post by jefuchs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:40 pm

I'm going to Italy for the first time next year. Everybody says travel light, which is very good advice, but as we shop, we'll load ourselves down. I may only get to go to Euope once in my life, so I don't want to hesitate to buy things there.

I want to know if I will have trouble packing up my new belongings and mailing them to myself, rather than carrying them for the remainder of the trip. Should I use the local postal service, or is there a Fed-Ex equivalent I should look for? Will packaging supplies be availiable, as they are in my local post office? Will the cost make this a bad idea? Will this make Customs issues simpler, or more complicated?

What are your expereinces?

Jeff

Roby

Post by Roby » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:10 am

Jeff, Using UPS would be a good way to go.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/index.html
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... svl=SubNav

DHL is another good way to go.
http://www.dhl-usa.com/home/home.asp

Traveling light is the best way to go. Read our Travel information in Italy post and read http://www.ricksteves.com/. You will find a lot of helpful tips there.

If you have any questions regarding Traveling in Italy, post your questions, under Travel information in Italy

Roby

disegno

Post by disegno » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:25 am

Mailboxes.com has come to Italy, which makes shipping very convenient. We were in Ravello last September and sent wine and pottery home, and both shops used Mailboxes. Everything arrived back home in the US about a month in perfect condition. Everything was documented and it was incredibly easy! So don't worry, many shops are now equipped with standardized shipping procedures.... even the tiniest of locations! :D Ciaoooo! M
Chi canta a tavola e fischia a letto e' matto perfetto.

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:21 pm

Ciao Jeff!

I have been shipping very fragile things to myself from Italy for years. As I see it, you have a few options. First, if possible, take advantage of the shipping services the shop offers where you are making your purchases. Shops have contracts with carriers such as UPS or DHL (as Roby mentioned), and their prices are quite reasonable. Usually a shop owner will not charge you more than their actual cost to ship the item(s) you buy there. If you try to use UPS or DHL yourself without the benefit of a contract (you have to do a certain volume of shipping with these carriers to qualify for discounts), the prices are quite steep.

Second option is combining purchases you make from different shops into a single package and shipping through the Italian post office. I don't think the post office sells boxes and other shipping supplies, so you would need to buy them either in a stationary store or ask a shop owner to give you some materials that they may have and plan on throwing away that you could re-use.

Melissa's option seems like a good option too - I had no idea that Mailboxes was in Italy! Do some research prior to going to make sure that there is a Mailboxes store in the cities you plan to visit, and this could be your best bet! :) Their global store locator is here: http://go.mappoint.net/mbe/PrxInput.aspx

Hope this information has been helpful!

Mindy

jefuchs

Post by jefuchs » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:53 pm

Grazie tutti,

This is very good information. I'm small and handicapped, and I can't be carrying a lot of stuff around. It's going to be difficult enough as it is. I'm not a big spender, and not much of a shopper, but I predict I'll be shopping a lot in Italy. I want to enjoy evrything, and not get home and wish I had bought the things I liked.

Jeff
Last edited by jefuchs on Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jefuchs

Post by jefuchs » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:10 pm

One more question,

Can someone post the Italian phrase to use when requesting this?

"Can you ship this to America for me?"

Roby

Post by Roby » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:29 pm

jefuchs wrote:One more question,

Can someone post the Italian phrase to use when requesting this?

"Can you ship this to America for me?"
Puo' spedire questo per l'America per me?

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Roby

jefuchs

Post by jefuchs » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:39 pm

Grazie mille

charlene

Post by charlene » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Ciao Jeff,
Just as a precaution, you should check and make sure insurance is covered in the shipping fee if you're are buying a breakable object. We bought a glass candalabra from Bologna which arrived quickly. But it broke in half and because the store did not request insurance, I could not get all my money back. THe max DHL would reimburse was USD$100 which did not cover the full amount of my purchase. I am still sad about it today, not so much because of the money lost, but because the candalabra was hand crafted, one of a kind, and it was absolutely gorgeous. I used the $100 refund to send the candalabra back to the Italian artisan who created it askiing for repairs, but I never heard from anyone again :(
Charlene