Study habits

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
michelev

Study habits

Post by michelev » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:05 am

I would like to know everybody's preferences when it comes to studying italian. How do each of us study, which ways work for you. I am about to start using index cards to improve my vocabulary, also I have a code free dvd player and I will start to buy italian movies from Italy this way I have the italian with the subtitles both in english and italian. I have a few books but just reading them doesn't really help unless you put it to use. I know the best way to learn would be to go to Italy for a while, but since I just got married 5 months ago I don't see that as an option at this moment.

Mike

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:24 pm

Hi Mike!

I don't formally study the language anymore, as I have the opportunity to speak it every day. However, I do have some suggestions for you:

:arrow: Join a Meetup group at http://italian.meetup.com - it's a great way to meet other people near you who are also learning, and give you a chance to practice your skills.

:arrow: Participate here on the forum every day. Respond to other posts, or post your own "thought of the day" or something similar. This is a way to put what you are studying into practice.

:arrow: Sign up for the Quiz of the Week! The link is at the top of the page.

:arrow: Choose one good text, like Prego, 5th Ed. or

Hope this helps! :D Anyone else have tips or advice to share?

--Mindy

Roby

Post by Roby » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:20 pm

Mike,

There is a post under Studiamo la grammatica called Italian Resources. You will helpful recommend resouces there.

Attending a meetup discussion group in your area.

Taking an Italian course at your local community college.

Participating in Italian forums like Mindy's here every day. Asking questions, responding to any thread that is of interest to you either in English or Italian, trying to write in Italian even if it is a little at a time.

The flash cards are a great idea. Purchasing a good Italian textbook Prego as Mindy suggest is a good one.

Listening to Italian radio/cds/ tapes and tv.

Visiting your local Italian community.

Good Luck...

Anyone else have other suggestions?

Roby

michelev

Post by michelev » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm

I actually have a ggod intermediate testbook called Viaggio. It pretty good, and it also gives you insight on italian culture as well.

Mike

drbob

Study methods

Post by drbob » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:15 pm

Purtropopo abito 5 chilometri da la frontiera mexicana e le gente qui parlano spagnola. L'universita piu' vicino e' 80 chilometri e non hanno l'italiano!
Allora studio da solo. Ho quattro libri. "Prego" e' il megliore ma , una sorpresa, "The Idiot's Guide to Learning Italian" e' molto buono.
Ho comprato il corso "Pimsleur Method". Ci sono 90 lezione di mezza ora di "CD". E' molto molto buono.
Ho cominciato a imprarare l'italiano la fine del'estate e passo cerca 2 ore per giorno compresa mezza ora guardo le noticie da TG3.
Ho deciso que e' megliore a trovare le gente qui parlano L'italiano e parla. Ma per me non e' possibile.
Credo di questo "web site" e' una buona risorsa. .

Bob

Margery

Post by Margery » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:32 pm

Ciao Mike ed a tutti

Bene, suppongo che il migliore modo di imparare un'altra lingua e di stare nel paese per un certo periodo, ma certo questo non e possibile. Io non lo studio ma l'anno scorso ho comprato 5 riviste e sto cercando di leggerle - lentamente, un po' ogni giorno dopo lavoro, con l'aiuto di 2 dizionarie. Il problema era che mi sono sentita di non sapere le parole del parlare ordinario. Non posso ricevere i programmi del RAI, allora l'unico modo per me di ascoltare l'italiano e EuroNews che trasmette tutta la giornata. Questo e un po' limitato ma penso di aver bisogno di abituarmi la mente e le orrechie al suono di italiano.

Anche questo sito di Mindy mi ha aiutata molto di pensare e allo stesso tempo scrivere in italiano.

Margery :)
XXXXXX

teebay

audio-files and transcripts

Post by teebay » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:24 pm

Ciao a tutti.
Spero di dare un piccolo contributo a tutti coloro che usano anche il web per studiare l'italiano. Sto preparando delle conversazioni da ascoltare mentre si legge il testo della conversazione, che metterò a disposizione nel sito dell'Italian College. Non appena ho pronto il primo "sample" (sarà sulla pizza ...) vi comunico l'indirizzo 'segreto' della pagina.
A presto,
teebay
------------------------------------
The Italian College Forum
www.theitaliancollege.com/phpBB2

disegno

Post by disegno » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:51 am

Ciao Mike, When I started to seriously study the language again (about six years ago), I fanatically studied grammar books. I really wanted to grasp and understand how to use each tense and how the verb changed and the patterns they followed. So, I would methodically comb through each chapter, tense by tense. After finishing with one book, I would search for another and start the process all over again...I was always looking for a new approach...some new information, some new insight, plus I was just down right addicted (as a result, I have a very extensive library of Italian books!).

I especially loved books that had exercises at the end of each chapter. I enjoyed having to translate from english into Italian to see if I could master the words and tenses. I would work for hours every night (sometimes while in front of the tv!) For me it was challenging and fun, kind of like solving the ultimate word jumble or crossword puzzle.

In the beginning, I was also always listening to audio tapes over and over and over! Dialogues, conversations and again, surprise, surprise, grammar on tapes (Penton Overseas has a great tape series called Learn in Your Car...that progressively works through all the grammar tenses).

As I became more confident with the language, then came the novels. I started ordering books from IBS (the internet book shop http://www.internetbookshop.it/hme/hmepge.asp) I started out with Pinocchio and then moved onto books I knew well in english that had been translated into Italian (like Harry Potter, Sidney Sheldon novels) Reading continues to help increase vocabulary. (My husband used to tease me mercilessly when he found me reading something actually printed in English...he would act so dumbfounded that it wasn't in Italian!)

Then, when I felt really confident (after about a year) I launched out onto the web in search of pen pals and chat groups. I also started attending evening classes and then, suddenly I was meeting Italian natives and forming friendships & real face to face chat groups!

Some of my picks for grammar books are:
Oggi - Merlonghi
Italian A Self Teaching Guide - Edoardo Lebano (I loved the exercises in this book)
Ciao
Italian Verb Drills (really good practice)
Con Fantasia
Living Languages Series
Adrienne's Italian 32 Lessons
Learn in Your Car tapes by Penton OverSeas

The learning continues...':D'

disegno

Post by disegno » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:55 am

Sto preparando delle conversazioni da ascoltare mentre si legge il testo della conversazione
Non vedo l'ora! Ciao. Melissa

Roby

Reading and listening in Italian

Post by Roby » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:23 am

teebay wrote: Sto preparando delle conversazioni da ascoltare mentre si legge il testo della conversazione, che metterò a disposizione nel sito dell'Italian College.
Teebay,
Questo e' fantastico. Non vedo l'ora.
disegno wrote:I started out with Pinocchio and then moved onto books I knew well in english that had been translated into Italian (like Harry Potter, Sidney Sheldon novels) Reading continues to help increase vocabulary. The learning continues...':D'
Melissa,

Ne ho anche il libro di Pinocchio. :D

Mike,

If you already have some understanding of the language and love to read as many of us do, I began reading comics, fables, fairy tales, etc. This was a great help in the beginning because the conversations were short.

Some of the book I have:

Pinocchio
Peanuts
Disney stories
(all in comic book form.)

I reread these when I want to relax my mind from the advanced vocabulary of novels. :D

Italian Stories /Novelle Italiane - A Dual language book
(There are many of these types of books)

Many of my travel books: Books about the cities that I have visited are in Italian as well.

And.... an endless amount of novels in different genres.

Roby

Amela

Post by Amela » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:38 pm

I try only to study the grammar when I find myself wanting to use it. I read different sections daily (I too have Prego!), but when I am posting here and want to say something in a tense I don't know, I study it extensively. It's too difficult studying something that you aren't planning on using.

Amy

Elena

Post by Elena » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:50 pm

Ciao Michael e tutti,
Well, I have been studying Italian on and off for several years and have traveled to Italy each year for the past 9 years. I am quite addicted to studying the language and try to review and practice daily. I have attended numerous formal classes and have found that the academic courses for credit worked best for me. I hate to take the exams but that is the best way to discipline myself to study intensely. I, like Melissa, have quite of collection of grammar books and continue to purchase readers when I am in Italy. I certainly need more practice with conversation for often I do not recognize the spoken word even though I know the written word and it is already in my Italian vocabulary. I guess if I mispronounce the word or if the Italian speaker has an accent or speaks rapidly blending each word into the other then I am in trouble.
When I begin a conversation while I am in Italy I am so happy when the Italian native can actually understand me. Then the challenge begins....they give me a rapid response thinking I have a good grasp of the language. This is the most frustrating part. Also, I find that many of the Italians who are learning English do not wish to speak in Italian with me. Of course they wish to practice English and often their English is better than my Italian. When this happens I become discouraged and feel as though I am a hopeless case. BUT each year I continue to learn and have positive experiences.
Elena