Ciao! From America!

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
varcaL

Ciao! From America!

Post by varcaL »

Ciao!

How are you guys doing? I'm from America, although thanks to Italian law, I just found out my father never renounced his citizenship (born in Italy) so I've already began the process of claiming my Italian citizenship! I Love my hertiage, and it's a huge dissapointment to myself that I don't know Italian!

I've began to learn bits and pieces, but I figured I'd join up here with others who know more, and are in the process.

I'm jealous of you guys :p
Taja

Post by Taja »

Welcome! and congratulations for your decision!

I really admire you ... hopefully you will soon start writing in italian:)

But why do you want to have the italian citizenship? and how come that your father didnt teach you some italian? Wasnt he proud to be italian? :wink:

Buona fortuna!
Peter

Post by Peter »

VarcaL, ciao e benvenuto/a alla Bacheca

I am sure you will learn a lot here, so don't be afraid to post questions.

Taja

I am not suggesting that it is the case with VarcaL's father, but I do know that many Italian emigrants to the US made a conscious decision to embrace their new life and leave their old one behind. I am not sure that is something I could do, I must admit, and it is just as true that many retained their old ways and married them with the new culture that they had travelled thousands of miles to immerse themselves into.

The split with their homeland extended sometimes to naming their children with non-Italian names - a good friend from another forum, who is now well into his 70s, was christened Jack. He may well still answer to that name but we all know him as Gianni. He has been making up for lost time for quite a long time now, and last year was able to make his first ever visit to the area that his and his wife's families came from. A very emotional time, but so worthwhile for both of them. :D :D One day, who knows, but VarcaL may make the same voyage of discovery. :) :)
Roby

Post by Roby »

Peter wrote:VarcaL, ciao e benvenuto/a alla Bacheca

I am sure you will learn a lot here, so don't be afraid to post questions.

Taja

I am not suggesting that it is the case with VarcaL's father, but I do know that many Italian emigrants to the US made a conscious decision to embrace their new life and leave their old one behind. I am not sure that is something I could do, I must admit, and it is just as true that many retained their old ways and married them with the new culture that they had travelled thousands of miles to immerse themselves into.

The split with their homeland extended sometimes to naming their children with non-Italian names - a good friend from another forum, who is now well into his 70s, was christened Jack. He may well still answer to that name but we all know him as Gianni. He has been making up for lost time for quite a long time now, and last year was able to make his first ever visit to the area that his and his wife's families came from. A very emotional time, but so worthwhile for both of them. :D :D One day, who knows, but VarcaL may make the same voyage of discovery. :) :)
Yes, Peter this is what happened. Many of those who came from other countries to America to find a better life for themselves wanted to learn the English language because this was going to be where they were going live their lives. It was not a fact of being ashamed of their native land or language. Many have not given up the ways of their homeland. The children of those who came to America were not taught the native language in many of the families because for those they felt that it was more important for the children to embrace their new countries language.

Taja,
Today, I know that many of the children feel that they are missing out on some of their heritage by not knowing the families native language.

VarcaL has come to the forum to get help in learning Italian. I wish him much success in his/her endeavors.

VarcaL , you have come to the right place. We are all friendly and willing to help you if we can. Welcome.
Roby
ladybird

Post by ladybird »

Ciao VarcaL and benvenuto!

I think this may be quite a familiar story for a few of us.

Although my connection goes back a couple of generations, I still feel a longing to learn the language that they left behind.

You have come to the right place! Ask anything, no matter how simple it seems.

Nobody judges you here and you can be assured that someone will try and give you a hand :)
Life is for living and learning.