Recently in Tuscany

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
karendunn

Recently in Tuscany

Post by karendunn »

Buongiorno Mindy & other Italian devotees,
Last month I spent 3 marvelous weeks in Tuscany, staying at 2 different villas (B & Bs actually) within an hour's drive of Florence. Naturally, the food was always fresh, healthy, and mostly tuscan peasant delights. The house wines were superb, and the estate-bottled olive oil like nothing I've ever found in the U.S. But what I really appreciated this time was the aura of the old, walled hill towns near me. They weren't the most famous ones advertised, but places where the people accepted you as a local after a couple days.
Certaldo Alto and Casole d'Elsa are the two I spent the most time getting to know - even though I conversed with the most basic of Italian phrases. What great places to paint, draw, write or just spend hours over coffee. Day trips to others towns were so easy from Certaldo because the trains stop there. And from Casole it was only an hour's trip to Chianti, alabaster, and panforte country.
I could rave for pages, but you already know all this, so I'll save details for any of you that might be interested. Just know that I saved many adventures for another time. Mindy's recipes help refresh the memories, as do listening to a few arias of opera & a good bottle of Chianti or Vernaccia. One piece of adivce. Learn as much Italian as you can - NOW.
disegno

Post by disegno »

Ciao Karen, anch'io ero in Tuscana il mese scorso. Mio marito ed io siamo stati vicino a Pienza in un bellissimo posto di agriturismo chiamato La Moscadella. Abbiamo trascorso un bel tempo in quella zona sud di Firenze e pochi passi da Montalcino e Val d'Orcia! Sono d'accordo con te, il cibo era buonissimo. Ogni pasto era meraviglioso. Mi è piaciuto di più, una piatta di raviolli fatto di salvia e burro. è stata così fresca! So perchè! Quando abbiamo fatto i passeggiati intorna la campagna c'era la salvia dappertutto. Potevo sentire l'odore di salvia ad ogni passo. Ora, per sempre, quando sento l'odore di salvia penserò della Moscadella e i bei momenti che abbiamo passato là! A proposito, hai dipinto quando eri in Italia? Ciao. Melissa