Baby names

This section is dedicated to Italians who wish to improve their English skills. Aiutiamoci a vicenda!
forumuser

Baby names

Post by forumuser » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:22 am

This is a bit of an unconventional question. Please take it out if it's outside the scope of this forum.

I am thinking of names to give to my soon-to-be born child and I am considering Joshua. I am wondering how it rings to native ears, what associations it triggers, and so forth. Please help out a future father in distress. :wink:

ladybird

Re: Baby names

Post by ladybird » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:31 am

forumuser wrote:This is a bit of an unconventional question. Please take it out if it's outside the scope of this forum.

I am thinking of names to give to my soon-to-be born child and I am considering Joshua. I am wondering how it rings to native ears, what associations it triggers, and so forth. Please help out a future father in distress. :wink:
Hi forumuser

Firstly, welcome and secondly, I have never yet known a question to be removed from this forum! I don't believe there is such a thing here as "off topic", we talk about anything and everything :wink: :)

Regarding your question on "Joshua", I believe it's a popular name here in the UK, and this native likes the sound of it very much.
I have had a bit of practice, I have 5 children of my own :lol:
It certainly doesn't bring any bad associations with it as far as I'm concerned so I hope that the father-to-be (and the mama!) can relax a little.
Life is for living and learning.

forumuser

Post by forumuser » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:37 am

Wow, thanks Ladybird!! If a mummy of 5 says it, then I can't go wrong! The mother will be very happy to know too. :D

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:55 am

forumuser wrote:Wow, thanks Ladybird!! If a mummy of 5 says it, then I can't go wrong! The mother will be very happy to know too. :D
Figurati :) BTW, mi chiamo Angela.
Life is for living and learning.

Valmelaverde

Post by Valmelaverde » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:52 am

Hi Forumuser :D .......I think Joshua is a beautiful name to give to a baby !

My favorites names in English are : Matthew, Brian, Jason and Jonathan.
" Curiosity kill the cat "

forumuser

Post by forumuser » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:25 pm

Grazie Valmelaverde. I think so too! :D

Carlo

Post by Carlo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:36 pm

Welcome to Impariamo, forumuser, and congratulations on the great news. I, too, like the name Joshua. How could I possibly not like it? It's in the title of one of my all-time favourite albums, U2's The Joshua Tree :D

Carlo

Ember

Post by Ember » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:54 pm

I like the name Joshua, I'm not sure I can pronounce it well (italianized, it's Giòsciua) but I consider it one of the best foreign names!
I also love its italian form, one of my favourite names: Giosuè. Pity that now it's a little unconventional (it was "cool" many years ago) so I don't think it would be good to name my future son like this :D
*** homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto ***

Roby

Post by Roby » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:12 pm

Valmelaverde wrote:Hi Forumuser :D .......I think Joshua is a beautiful name to give to a baby !

Correction:

Valentina in English we do not pluralize all the words such as i nomi favoriti-- You just say
My FAVORITE (SENZA S) names in English are
Roby

Roby

Post by Roby » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:17 pm

carlo wrote:Welcome to Impariamo, forumuser, and congratulations on the great news. I, too, like the name Joshua. How could I possibly not like it? It's in the title of one of my all-time favourite albums, U2's The Joshua Tree :D

Carlo
Carlo,

Have you ever been to the California? In Southern California there is a National Park called Joshua Tree

http://www.joshua.tree.national-park.com/

Roby

Carlo

Post by Carlo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:06 pm

Grazie del link, Roby! E' molto interessante. Purtroppo sono stato negli Stati Uniti solo una volta e solo a Boston.

forumuser

Post by forumuser » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:21 am

carlo wrote:Welcome to Impariamo, forumuser, and congratulations on the great news. I, too, like the name Joshua. How could I possibly not like it? It's in the title of one of my all-time favourite albums, U2's The Joshua Tree :D

Carlo
Grazie Carlo. :) The Joshua Tree was a nice album.

joemama

Post by joemama » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Ciao forumuser! :)
Joshua is a great name. I really like it, and I think that it is a well-liked name. It doesn't have any strange connotations or associations that I can think of. When I hear "Josh" or "Joshua", I definitely think of a white person. I don't mean to imply that this is either a good or bad thing, I'm merely pointing out an association from my point of view (and possibly the pov of other Californians).
Congratulations, I hope you go with that name!

forumuser

Post by forumuser » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:12 pm

Hey Joe, thanks and welcome to the forum. The baby'll be pleased to know you approve of his future name too! :D
Last edited by forumuser on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valmelaverde

Post by Valmelaverde » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:22 pm

Roby wrote:
Valmelaverde wrote:Hi Forumuser :D .......I think Joshua is a beautiful name to give to a baby !

Correction:

Valentina in English we do not pluralize all the words such as i nomi favoriti-- You just say
My FAVORITE (SENZA S) names in English are
Roby

Ok Roby :D

Thanks for the correction, I will try to remember 8)
" Curiosity kill the cat "