Dalla Richiesta...

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
flautista7

Dalla Richiesta...

Post by flautista7 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:38 pm

I have a blog I've set up specifically for practicing my Italian. Feel free to read it, comment, and/or correct! Just click the www link below.

timLA

Post by timLA » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:49 am

Grazie mille, brave e brava!

E per il prossimo concerto....Bach e Donizetti... :D
Una mucca dice all'altra "Hai letto della "mucca pazza"? L'altra dice "Sì, ho sentito. Che fortuna che io sono un pinguino!

Roby

Re: Dalla Richiesta...

Post by Roby » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:51 am

Monika wrote:Links a alcuni della mia musica, dalla richiesta:

io sto suonando il flauto con mia amica Stephanie

io sto suonando il flauto e l'arpa in Canticle

Piacere! :D
Monika,

My speakers are not working at the moment. When I can, I will listen to your recitals. I took a look at your blog. It is very nice. Roby
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:30 pm

Monika, suoni come un angelo! Anche il pianoforte della tua amica e' fantastico!

Complimenti! :D

flautista7

Post by flautista7 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:28 pm

Grazie! :oops: :D
I have a blog I've set up specifically for practicing my Italian. Feel free to read it, comment, and/or correct! Just click the www link below.

Devery

Post by Devery » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:51 pm

I've always wanted to play the flute but just never got around to it. I love its sound! I play the piano, guitar, and some drums, but I don't practice much. I do write some (I used to write a lot but now I have a little boy :D :( ). But I am almost done with my "second album!" I use a lot of "flute" sounds in my songs but of course they are all done in MIDI. Not the same as a real one. I used to LOVE the music of Nicholas Gunn (Arizona), he really brought out the best of the flute. http://www.nicholasgunn.com/
His recordings are second to none, also. OOOOOOHHHHH!! If I could only get my hands on some of that power!!!!!

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Spanky, you should try out Fruity Loops, it's a great piece of software that allows you to write awesome music. I use it for my music and you can compose songs with sounds of a real orchestra.

Devery

Post by Devery » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:13 pm

Thank Archangel, but I am not a big fan of "loop" recording. I have seen "fruity loops" though and it is an amazing program. I think the only thing I would ever use it for is for the drum samples! Although I prefer to write my own, there are some amazing drum beats "out there!"

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:32 pm

You can use FL to create non-loop songs as well, you know, I write soundtrack pieces with it. Don't be fooled by its name. =)

Devery

Post by Devery » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:36 pm

I have it laying around somewhere. I'll have to check it out (again).

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:48 pm

I also reccomend you find Edirol Orchestral, it's a plugin for FL that allows you to use orchestral samples. Brilliant!

Devery

Post by Devery » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:55 pm

Sorry Monika, this is your thread after all.

Did you write that song "contemplation?" I like it a lot, the music is very beautiful, full of substance and direction. What, do you play the Harp also? You know my last name is Harper! I am not the Harp but the player It also says there will be Harper's Harping in Heaven!! So I like my chances! :D

flautista7

Post by flautista7 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks for the nice comments on Contemplation, Spanky! I wrote it for 2 friends who are in Canticle with me, for a concert we had this past spring. We wanted to play an original work for handbell duet and harp, but there's not much out there... so I thought I'd try my hand at writing one. I was very excited when Bronzewood Pædeia found it on my website, and decided to include it on their summer concert tour! They are a handbell solo and harp duo, so I did some work on the piece and rewrote it for their instrumentation. And yep, I play harp -- a full-sized lever harp (not a big orchestral harp with pedals, though).

Devery

Post by Devery » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:32 pm

Cool! What kind of notation software do you use? Or do you do it by hand?
I remember when I didn't have all of my "toys" I used to write all of my music by hand. Now I am sooooo dependent on technology. Sometimes I don't think I can go back.
When I get an idea I head upstairs, arm a track, and record that idea. It is automatically put into notation (if ever needed). Imagine Beethoven writing a symphony for 15 different parts!
BTW, check out this song I recently finished where I used several types of Bells:
http://deveryharpermusic.com/media/02_T ... 0Bells.mp3
I have to "tweak" the very beginning part out a little. A lot of speakers to not like the tonality of that first bell. This is the first song I have done like this (and probably the last--it really is not my style of writing) and I am very pleased with the results!
Cool stuff!

flautista7

Post by flautista7 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:07 pm

Very cool, I enjoyed listening to it! Thanks for sharing the link. It's really pretty! And I like its underlying syncopation.

I compose either at the harp, or at the piano. So I sketch the music out by hand on staff paper. But it's kind of in my own shorthand so I can keep up with the ideas as they come. After that, I put the music in Sibelius. I print it out, go back to play it (or have friends play through it with me in the case of ensembles), checking for errors or places that don't work on the instrument(s) - then edit it by hand on those printouts, going back for final revisions in Sibelius as I get the kinks worked out.

All of my music is meant for some sort of performance situation (usually casual, informal... sometimes concert as in the case of Contemplation, or Twilight for bassoon and harp) so I have to make sure everything is idiomatic for the instruments involved.

So for me, it's definitely 50/50 as far as by hand vs. on the computer.