Need Help

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
ShyAussie1979

Need Help

Post by ShyAussie1979 »

Hi
I am new to this site and am in my 2nd month of my beginners level certificate in italian
Having trouble with a few words
I know the basic, (I like, I am, I want, I need, I can etc..)
I cant seem to find the following
I was, I did, Did you, could we have
And also stuck on "Can you" which I know is Mi Puo but I also heard it can be Ci Puo

thanks for your help and this is a great site also!

Simon
giuseppe

Post by giuseppe »

Hello !
Since these are all auxiliary verbs, you should translate the whole sentence so that you can find out what the exact meaning is.
Anyway, welcome and enjoy the learning!
Giuseppe
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light.
Zelda

Post by Zelda »

ciao Simon,

mi piacerebbe aiutarti. se puoi venire in chat parliamo lì.

I'll stay here for a while, have you time for a chat? :)

-sorry but my english is not perfect :-(
hope hear you soon, bye.
TrentinaNE

Re: Need Help

Post by TrentinaNE »

ShyAussie1979 wrote: I was, I did, Did you, could we have
And also stuck on "Can you" which I know is Mi Puo but I also heard it can be Ci Puo
Could we have = potremmo avere (conditional tense of potere)
Can you = puoi/può (present tense of potere)

Ci può/si può is an impersonal construction meaning "one can" or "it is possible."

As giuseppe said, "was" and "did" typically function as auxiliary verbs in English, but may be part of the verb conjugation in Italian. So you need to give the entire verb. For example: I was sleeping = dormivo (the imperfetto tense in Italian). However, if someone asks: Were you sleeping? I believe you can answer Sì, lo ero. (Yes, I was, where "lo" stands in for "sleeping.") Natives, please correct me if I'm wrong on that! :)

Ciao e benvenuto!
Elisabetta
(Le correzioni sono sempre ben accette!)
Peter

Post by Peter »

ShyAussie1979 wrote:Hi
I am new to this site and am in my 2nd month of my beginners level certificate in italian
Having trouble with a few words
I know the basic, (I like, I am, I want, I need, I can etc..)
I cant seem to find the following
I was, I did, Did you, could we have

thanks for your help and this is a great site also!

Simon
Hi Simon and welcome.

What resources have you? There is so much available, either from a good bookshop or online. Also, are you learning the language on your own or in a group? I would think that if you are studying for a certificate, there should be someone on hand who can talk you through things like this.

However, that doesn't mean you should not post any queries here. We're a pretty darn friendly crowd who are always willing to help. :) :) However, where possible it really is helpful to provide some context, since that makes it sooooo much easier to help you! :) :)

Can you help me? (informal) Puoi aiutarmi? (formal) Può aiutarmi?
Can you take me to the dentist? Puoi/può portarmi dal dentista.

In such cases, where you use the modal verb potere, the direct object pronoun (mi) is added to the infinitive of the main verb, in the above examples aiutare (to help) and portare (to carry, bear, take [in the sense of transporting someone somewhere, like to the dentist]). You'll find this a pretty common practice, but no doubt direct and indirect pronouns are things you will come to in good time during your studies. So, don't worry about it.

As I say, feel totally free to post any questions, no matter how trivial or silly they may seem to you. Believe me, they will not be regarded as such. All we non-Italians have been where you are now and if we can help we most certainly will. :) :) :D

The big thing is to enjoy it, then you'll find learning it so much easier.
forumuser

Post by forumuser »

Peter wrote:the big thing is to enjoy it, then you'll find learning it so much easier.
So true!