Simple question

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
jade

Simple question

Post by jade » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 pm

Hello everyone,

Could anyone tell me what the differences between the following pairs of words are?

abitare, vivere
davanti a, di fronte a
stanza, camera

Grazie mille!

timLA

Re: Simple question

Post by timLA » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:54 pm

jade wrote:Hello everyone,
Could anyone tell me what the differences between the following pairs of words are?
abitare, vivere
davanti a, di fronte a
stanza, camera
Grazie mille!
Hi Jade.
I'll give it a try because it's been a while without an answer.
But the experts will be around momentarily.

If you are talking about "I live in LA" - I have been told that "abitare" and "vivere" are interchangeable. I've intentionally used both alternatively and never been corrected by the experts.

In terms of the "davanti a" and "di fronte a" - they both can mean "in front of", but I believe "di fronte a" can have a more broad meaning to include "opposite" "opposed to" - but let's wait for the experts.

For "stanza" - "camera" - "stanza" seems to be the more specific, such as a "small room" "X room" - something very specific. Where is seems that "camera" has a broader use like "chamber" "room", and perhaps more technical uses. - again, the experts will provide excellent insight here...

They'll be around in a flash...
Una mucca dice all'altra "Hai letto della "mucca pazza"? L'altra dice "Sì, ho sentito. Che fortuna che io sono un pinguino!

jade

Post by jade » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:17 am

timLA wrote:
Hi Jade.
I'll give it a try because it's been a while without an answer.
But the experts will be around momentarily.

If you are talking about "I live in LA" - I have been told that "abitare" and "vivere" are interchangeable. I've intentionally used both alternatively and never been corrected by the experts.

In terms of the "davanti a" and "di fronte a" - they both can mean "in front of", but I believe "di fronte a" can have a more broad meaning to include "opposite" "opposed to" - but let's wait for the experts.

For "stanza" - "camera" - "stanza" seems to be the more specific, such as a "small room" "X room" - something very specific. Where is seems that "camera" has a broader use like "chamber" "room", and perhaps more technical uses. - again, the experts will provide excellent insight here...

They'll be around in a flash...
Thank you, TimLA. Do you really live in LA? Me too. You mean Los Angeles, not Louisiana, right?

Okay, now does that mean if I want to say big room, I cannot use word "stanza"?

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:26 am

I'm no expert either but I think I have a good answer for you.

Abitare means to live, with more of an emphasis on place:

Abito a Boston.
I live in Boston.

Abito vicino ai miei genitori.
I live near my parents.

Vivere means to live in a looser sense, such as the way in which one lives, perhaps you might say a more philosophical meaning:

Vivo per sostenere la mia famiglia.
I live to support my family.

Vivo in miseria da molti anni visto che ho perso il mio lavoro.
I have beenn living in poverty for many years since I lost my job.

However, I have seen vivere used with places: Vivo a Milano, etc. I don't think the rule is hard and fast - just a guideline.

As for la camera/la stanza, I'm not sure there is much of a difference and believe, in my opinion, both are interchangeable. According to my book on synonyms, it says that camera is used especially to refer to one's bedroom or one's own room. Whereas la stanza might be used more generally -- la stanza da pranzo, la stanza da bagno, etc.

Davanti a and di fronte a are also synonyms (at least according to this book) but you might want to check a dictionary and to see what other meanings can be used.

jade

Post by jade » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:53 am

keithatengagedthinking wrote:I'm no expert either but I think I have a good answer for you.

Abitare means to live, with more of an emphasis on place:

Abito a Boston.
I live in Boston.

Abito vicino ai miei genitori.
I live near my parents.

Vivere means to live in a looser sense, such as the way in which one lives, perhaps you might say a more philosophical meaning:

Vivo per sostenere la mia famiglia.
I live to support my family.

Vivo in miseria da molti anni visto che ho perso il mio lavoro.
I have beenn living in poverty for many years since I lost my job.

However, I have seen vivere used with places: Vivo a Milano, etc. I don't think the rule is hard and fast - just a guideline.

As for la camera/la stanza, I'm not sure there is much of a difference and believe, in my opinion, both are interchangeable. According to my book on synonyms, it says that camera is used especially to refer to one's bedroom or one's own room. Whereas la stanza might be used more generally -- la stanza da pranzo, la stanza da bagno, etc.

Davanti a and di fronte a are also synonyms (at least according to this book) but you might want to check a dictionary and to see what other meanings can be used.
Thank you, Keith. Your explanation is really helpful, especially on abitare and vivere. For la camera and la stanza, I saw someone used "camera da letto", does it mean "bedroom"? I guess I need a better dictionary for the "davanti a" and "di fronte a", mine simply explains "in front of" in both cases.

polideuce

Post by polideuce » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:34 am

Camera:
è usato per indicare la "camera da letto" (bedroom), oppure la "Camera dei deputati" (Chamber of Deputies; House of Commons)...in genere è un vano con una destinazione specifica

Dal dizionario Garzanti:
(1 (stanza) room; (stanza da letto) bedroom: - degli ospiti, spare room; - a due letti, matrimoniale, double room; - a un letto, singola, single room; - sul retro,backroom; - dei bambini, nursery; - ammobiliata, furnished room; camere da affittare, rooms to let; camere in affitto, rented rooms (o lodgings): dark room, (ottica) camera obscura
2 Camera, (corpo deliberante) Chamber; House: Camera dei Deputati, Chamber of Deputies; (in Gran Bretagna) House of Commons (o Lower House); (negli Stati Uniti) House of Representatives;
3 (tecn., mil.) chamber: - a gas, gas chamber; - d'aria, (di pneumatico) inner tube; (di pallone) bladder; (intercapedine) air space; (idraulica) air chamber; - di caricamento, loading chamber.
( http://www.garzantilinguistica.it/inter ... lemma=9108 )

Stanza: è un termine generico per indicare una parte di un edificio, viene usato anche per indicare un numero determinato di versi, in una poesia, che formano un senso completo

Dal dizionario Garzanti:
(s.f.1 room: una - vuota, an empty room; - ammobiliata, furnished room; - attigua, next room; - da bagno, bathroom; - da letto, bedroom; - da lavoro, workroom; stanze da affittare, rooms to let; stanze interne, inner rooms; un appartamento con cinque stanze, a flat with five rooms (o a five-roomed flat); questa - è vicino alla tua, this room is near yours; l'anagrafe è alla - n. 57, the registry office is at room n. 57 / (banca) - di liquidazione, di compensazione, clearing house / Stanze Vaticane, Vatican Stanze
2 (mil.) essere di - in un luogo, to be stationed in a place
3 (poesia) stanza: le stanze dell'Ariosto, Ariosto's stanzas.)
( http://www.garzantilinguistica.it/inter ... emma=59831 )

polideuce

Post by polideuce » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:19 am

"davanti a" e "di fronte a" sono usati come sinonimi.
"di fronte a" però intende due soggetti che si fronteggiano, ad esempio:
"le poste sono di fronte alla camera di commercio" vuol dire che i due edifici sono sulla stessa via ma su lati opposti con gli ingressi che guardano l'uno verso l'altro; nell'uso comune però hanno lo stesso significato

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:35 pm

Thanks, Polideuce

Your explanation of la stanza/la camera was very insightful. :) I'm going to make a note of those differences.

timLA

Post by timLA » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:13 pm

Thank you, TimLA. Do you really live in LA? Me too. You mean Los Angeles, not Louisiana, right?

Yep, the City of Angels - I'm surrounded by smoke now, watching red sunrises and sunsets...just like you. :lol:
Una mucca dice all'altra "Hai letto della "mucca pazza"? L'altra dice "Sì, ho sentito. Che fortuna che io sono un pinguino!

Roby

Post by Roby » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:22 pm

Abitare vuole dire risiedere (in un posto, in una casa, etc)

"Abito a Roma", "

Vivere vuole dire esistere (in un posto, in una situazione, etc)

"Vivo a Roma", , "Vivo solo", "Vivo da solo"

Anyone else can you give more examples or clearify what I have written.
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

jade

Post by jade » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:36 pm

Thank you, polideuce. Now it is clear to me.

Your dictionaries are much better than mine. :)

jade

Post by jade » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:42 pm

timLA wrote:
Yep, the City of Angels - I'm surrounded by smoke now, watching red sunrises and sunsets...just like you. :lol:
:) It is better today. but sadly I still cannot see the mountain yet.

jade

Post by jade » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:44 pm

Roby wrote:Abitare vuole dire risiedere (in un posto, in una casa, etc)

"Abito a Roma", "

Just curious. "Abito a Roma" and "Vivo a Roma", which one is used more often?

Roby

Post by Roby » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:58 pm

jade wrote:
Roby wrote:Abitare vuole dire risiedere (in un posto, in una casa, etc)

"Abito a Roma", "

Just curious. "Abito a Roma" and "Vivo a Roma", which one is used more often?
They are interchangable .
Roby

Roby

Post by Roby » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:00 pm

jade wrote:
timLA wrote:
:) It is better today. but sadly I still cannot see the mountain yet.
Jade, Please , could you fill us in on the fires where you are under the California Fires post in the Quattro chiacchiere section? thanks.
Roby