Harry Potter e la camera dei segreti

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Post Reply
sabhaircín
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: Ireland

Harry Potter e la camera dei segreti

Post by sabhaircín » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:21 pm

I have stated to read HP in italian. I'm stuck on a few words that I can't find in the dictionary. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

"Io lo so che giorno e' oggi" cantileno' Dudley caracollando verso di lui.

"I know what day it is today" Dudly said in a sing song voice __________ towards him.

User avatar
giuseppe
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:51 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Post by giuseppe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi Sabhaircin, I had never heard that verb until your post. Here is what my dictionary says:

caracollare (verb, aux avere)
1 to caracole
2 to trot

Quite honestly, I think it is difficult to understand not only for a learner but also for a native speaker. You must be at an advanced level, mustn't you? Ciao!
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light.

sabhaircín
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: Ireland

Post by sabhaircín » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:16 pm

Ciao giuseppe,
Grazie mille! Magari, non sono avanzata! Ho dei problemi per fare la traduzione ma penso che e' una buona idea per imparare le parole nuove.

I have to look up every second word in the dictionary!! But it's a good challenge.

Please correct me, as there has to be a good few mistakes in what I have written.

Roby
Posts: 3850
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:06 pm

Post by Roby » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:26 pm

sabhaircín wrote:Ciao giuseppe,
Grazie mille! Magari, non sono avanzata! Ho dei problemi per fare la traduzione ma penso che e' una buona idea per imparare le parole nuove.

I have to look up every second word in the dictionary!! But it's a good challenge.

Please correct me, as there has to be a good few mistakes in what I have written.
Sabhaircin,

Giuseppe is saying that even for Italians reading Harry Potter in Italian can be difficult.

When you use Penso che you must us the subjunctive. Penso che sia... READ the post on congiuntivo- subjunctives in the free lessons.

I am going to write you a pm.. ok?
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

sabhaircín
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: Ireland

Post by sabhaircín » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:32 pm

Roby
Thanks for all the help. :D I appreciate it.

User avatar
giuseppe
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:51 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Post by giuseppe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:00 pm

I have never read Harry Potter but, if the book is full of expressions like the one I read in the first post, I would say that they are definitely using a very formal (and unusual) Italian. All this is also quite strange because as far as I know the book should be meant for children :|
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light.

Roby
Posts: 3850
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:06 pm

Post by Roby » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:11 pm

giuseppe wrote:I have never read Harry Potter but, if the book is full of expressions like the one I read in the first post, I would say that they are definitely using a very formal (and unusual) Italian. All this is also quite strange because as far as I know the book should be meant for children :|
I know many adults who are reading or have read the HP series. If you enjoy books of fantasy such the Lord of the Rings; The Hobbit, etc then this series is also very good.
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

Roby
Posts: 3850
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:06 pm

Post by Roby » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:11 pm

sabhaircín wrote:Roby
Thanks for all the help. :D I appreciate it.
I pmed you
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

sabhaircín
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: Ireland

Post by sabhaircín » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:21 pm

Hi giuseppe
I've read all the Harry Potter books in English, and the English in some of Rowling's books is quite difficult .The English is quite formal too. When the first book was published I had to read it to my children as they hadn't acquired that level of literacy. But the last book (which I had to buy in Italy, as we were on holiday when it was published) they read avidly.

But I am really interested in what you have to say about the translation in Italian. Is it worth my while continuing to translate it, if it's written in such a formal style? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

User avatar
giuseppe
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:51 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Post by giuseppe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:30 pm

Roby wrote:I know many adults who are reading or have read the HP series. If you enjoy books of fantasy such the Lord of the Rings; The Hobbit, etc then this series is also very good.
well, then I had a wrong idea about Harry Potter books... unlike Talkien, Rowling is often described as an author 'for children', that's why I'd have expected a much easier style.
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light.

Roby
Posts: 3850
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:06 pm

Post by Roby » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:37 pm

giuseppe wrote:
Roby wrote:I know many adults who are reading or have read the HP series. If you enjoy books of fantasy such the Lord of the Rings; The Hobbit, etc then this series is also very good.
well, then I had a wrong idea about Harry Potter books... unlike Talkien, Rowling is often described as an author 'for children', that's why I'd have expected a much easier style.
We all are children at heart no matter our age... :lol:
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

User avatar
giuseppe
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:51 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Post by giuseppe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:03 pm

sabhaircín wrote:Hi giuseppe
I've read all the Harry Potter books in English, and the English in some of Rowling's books is quite difficult .The English is quite formal too. When the first book was published I had to read it to my children as they hadn't acquired that level of literacy. But the last book (which I had to buy in Italy, as we were on holiday when it was published) they read avidly.

But I am really interested in what you have to say about the translation in Italian. Is it worth my while continuing to translate it, if it's written in such a formal style? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
If you are telling me that the example you showed us in your first post represents well the style of the whole book, I tend to think that those with a very good command of the language may find it useful to read such a book, but frankly I wouldn't recommend it to the others. I don't know exactly what your level is, so it's up to you to decide.
On the other hand, you already have the original version, so you could compare the two... but maybe that wouldn't be the best exercise for you, if you want to translate the book yourself.
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light.

sabhaircín
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: Ireland

Post by sabhaircín » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:20 pm

giuseppe

I don't want to look at the English version. I did that before with "non ti muovere" by margaret mazzantini, and I found I was lazy and just referred to the English translation, so I didn't learn much. Great book by the way! But by looking up the words in the dictionary on Harry Potter and making notes I think I'm learning. I find translation work easy I think, if slow.
What do think about these? Am I on the right track?

Ma non valeva la pena rischiare - But it wasn't worth the risk
sfuggire alle sue grinfie - to escape from his clutches
coperto di sudore freddo - covered in a cold sweat
quegli occhi folli e sbarrati - those mad, staring eyes
un cane rognoso - a mangy dog
la sua defunta madre - his late mother
un sorriso ebete - a stupid smile
ma lui si era salvato - But he was saved
Migliaia di volte - Thousands of times
Una sottile cicatrice - a thin scar
Una voce beffarda - a mocking voice

Thanks for taking the time to answer my posts. I realise that people are giving their time and expertise for free. I appreciate all the advice and help!

User avatar
giuseppe
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:51 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Post by giuseppe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:55 pm

Everything seems correct to me (apart from 'he was saved', where I would have said 'fu salvato', but it doesn't matter).
Last edited by giuseppe on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light.

sabhaircín
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: Ireland

Post by sabhaircín » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:13 pm

By the way if I'm being a pain in the butt, please let me know? Honestly, I don't mean to be.

Ok here's the full sentence from the book.
L'attacco sferrato da Voldemort era costato la vita ai genitori di Harry, ma lui si era salvato, con la sua cicatrice a forma di saetta, e per qualche ragione - nessuno sapeva perche'- i poteri di Voldermort erano andati distrutti nel momento stesso in cui non era riuscito a uccidere il ragazzo.

And that's just one sentence!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests