Current affairs programme.

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
ladybird

Current affairs programme.

Post by ladybird » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:28 pm

Sorry, I have got to write this in English! :oops:

I'm looking for a translation for the type of television programme where news and current affairs are discussed, usually with politicians of opposing parties and other public figures of that persuasion!

Any ideas?

grazie :)
Life is for living and learning.

Carlo

Post by Carlo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:06 pm

You could say "programma di attualità politica".

giro

Re: Current affairs programme.

Post by giro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:01 pm

ladybird wrote:Sorry, I have got to write this in English! :oops:

I'm looking for a translation for the type of television programme where news and current affairs are discussed, usually with politicians of opposing parties and other public figures of that persuasion!

Any ideas?

grazie :)
Ladybird, at one point I found one of the major Italian newspapers or maybe it was TV news online where the text was in Italian but you could click on the Union Jack for the same thing in English.

Actually I think it was one of the news services for RAI, because I believe the deal was that the text was just the approximate transcription of what was being read on the video. I was not able to easily find that site again, and you know how it is with internet resources where projects are launched and then disappear, so maybe it's now gone, or maybe by now has reappeared. It was such a great thing that I wanted to re-find it, but now with so much material available on the web there is always an embarrassment of riches, more resources than I have time to give more than fleeting attention to any of them.

Not exactly the same thing you describe, but if you can get the vocabulary and phraseology for an issue, you might not need a translation to follow the native broadcast straight off of Italian TV. I think political discussions are particularly difficult to follow, in spite of the fact that the speech is usually much slower than normal conversation, because in a political discussion so many things said are symbolically removed from their real meanings.

Do have access to the RAI program "Qui Roma"? It's news, but the intro to each story has the transcript (in Italian) of what is being said on the right hand side of the screen. It's only ten minutes, and the transcripted part probably amounts to less than four, but when you are starting out you're so tired at the end you almost need a nap.

But, if you persist, it comes. Slowly. I think it's been three years now that I've had RAI at least some of the time, and while that seems like an awfully long time to achieve such a modest goal, at least I have finally arrived at a point where most of the spoken material is pretty transparent to me.

If you know who Brerus is over on about.com, his English is pretty damned good, but he remarked once that he could not follow movie dialogue in English. So I'm just saying that what we are trying to do may be more difficult than it looks.
Per piacere, correggete i miei errori in italiano. Grazie mille in anticipo.

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:07 pm

Ciao Angie

Penso che la frase che tu stai cercando sia 'l'attualità'.

Secondo il mio dizionario: she presents a current affairs programme on Monday evenings traduce come presenta un programma d'attualità il lunedi sera.

Spero che ti aiuti. :) :)

Davide

Post by Davide » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm

Of course, with the influx of English into the Italian language, it's more like to be 'il current affairs' - sigh! Do I sound cynical? :(

polideuce

Post by polideuce » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:48 pm

al momento "current affairs" non è entrato nell'uso comune, continuiamo a dire "attualità" :)
L'influsso dell'inglese è notevole però riguardo ad aspetti tecnici legati al computer, e questo è un bene altrimenti ci troveremmo alle prese coi problemi dei francesi che si divincolano tra printeuse, sourir, ordinateur etcc...
Rimane uno scambio vivo tra il dialetto regionale e l'italiano, e questo contribuisce a modificare la lingua; la nostra esterofilia ci porta poi ad essere pronti ad adottare terminologie più efficaci anche se espresse in altre lingue...malgrado l'italiano non sia tra le lingue più parlate al mondo, rimane una lingua viva, quindi non sarei così cinico :)