A State side chat group?

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Jen

A State side chat group?

Post by Jen » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:37 pm

Okay I am going out on a limb here :wink: but I would like to see who is interested in creating a msn chat group or a skype chat group that would meet once a week in the evening around 8 or 9. It would be for anyone. Topics that can be covered can be picked by the group some ideas are:
1. vocab drills
2. translate a phrase, that someone has the answer to
3. conjugate verbs into different tenses (essere and avere can be first)
use them in sentences
4. pick a topic for discussion, something like the weather, select it a week in advance so we could study key words and phrases and use them in our discussions
5. or prepare to talk briefly about ourselves, share anything we want others to know like age, family, background, why we're interested in Italian

What ever is decided as the topic don't feel like you have to make it every week or the entire time. It can be a two hour timeblock that maybe you can commit only a half hour to.

All ideas!!!!!!

Post here if you would like to join...your choice of evening...and your choice of starting time.

Jen

dmj120

Post by dmj120 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:39 pm

Ciao mia amica.

Love this idea. I like the idea of picking a topic to review.

I'd be available either Friday or Saturday nights, the rest the week is too crazy for me to 'commit' a set time.
Family, dogs, bike, work ----- in that order.

Mr. Kawasaki gave us 12k rpm, its criminal not to use them :!: :P :mrgreen: :wink:

Devery

Post by Devery » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:28 pm

I could be open for that. Lead on. . .

Netminder30

Post by Netminder30 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:45 pm

Jen,

You know I'm definitely up for this. Weeknights work best for me; the later, generally the better -- like 10 pm EST would be perfect. I know that might leave some on the East Coast bleary-eyed, but it would allow me time to visit with my family and take care of odd matters on the home front following a day at work. The later time might also make it easier for people on the West Coast to participate. Later on Friday nights could work; at least I can sleep in a bit on Saturday. Sunday afternoons could also work for me. Let's see what the consensus is.

Does anyone know if there is a good conversational Italian workbook out there that we could use to structure and guide discussions? That could be very helpful. I don't know how people feel about buying a book, however. Just a thought.

Steve

dmj120

Post by dmj120 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:52 pm

I could probably pop in for a 7ish pst during the week.

Mr. Kawasaki gave us 12k rpm, its criminal not to use them :!: :P :mrgreen: :wink:

Jen

Post by Jen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:28 am

Okay how about Wednesday night starting at 10 EST?

Shall we begin this week?

What is the topic?

Jen

Post by Jen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:32 am

I will be on for only a half hour. I'm very tired by the end of the teaching day.:)
I picked my easiest teaching day though.
:D

How about this wednesday at 10. Be prepared to talk a little about yourself.

Jen

dmj120

Post by dmj120 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:38 am

Okay, i'll be there -- hopefully prepared. :lol: :D

disegno

Post by disegno » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:46 pm

How about this wednesday at 10. Be prepared to talk a little about yourself.
Ciao Jen, che bell'idea. Usiamo Skype? Sarebbe utile per me, se le persone che vogliono participare post ancora i loro "logo-in" in questo thread. (io sono melissa_design)

Nel passato ho usato Skype solo per parlare con una persona. Mi sento una stupida, ma che cosa dobbiamo fare per aggiungere altre persone nel chat.

Ciao Melissa[/quote]
Chi canta a tavola e fischia a letto e' matto perfetto.

Jen

Post by Jen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:27 pm

Si, we will meet on Skype. If people who are interested want to send me their skpye name by pm I can will bring everyone together for our first chat.

The only I have on skpye is that conference calls can't handle many people at once. I think three is perfect and then more people make it harder to make out what someone is saying. We will try though. :)

Jen

Netminder30

Post by Netminder30 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:20 am

I plan to participate on the call. I think introducing and sharing a bit about ourselves along with a discussion about how we want to proceed with the group moving forward would be a good start. A presto!

jade

Post by jade » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:59 pm

Is there anyone interested in using msn? Skype is a bit hard for me to use now.

dmj120

Post by dmj120 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:43 pm

jade wrote:Is there anyone interested in using msn? Skype is a bit hard for me to use now.
my msn= bmet120 @ hotmail.com
Last edited by dmj120 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jen

Post by Jen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:48 pm

Jada,
If you have problems with Skype, I wonder if you are not on high speed internet. If that is so...you will have to minimize the programs you are running on your computer.

If that isn't the case then I will meet with you on msn. I'm sure others will too just so you can practice as well. Do know that we can't talk on msn, only write.

Jen

jade

Post by jade » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:15 pm

Josh and Jen, thank you. I have added you both on my msn.

Jen, you can talk through msn too. Unlike Skype, you can choose either call or type at the beginning when you start it. With msn, you need to send an IM first, then you can call the person. Only I have not figured out how to make group call.