How to type in accents

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Philip

How to type in accents

Post by Philip » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:30 am

This works for me using Vista. It may appear to be clumsy but it is easier than reconfiguring your keboard in the "Regional and Language" option in "Control Panel."

Hold down the "Alt" key and type the numbers using the numeric keyboard on the right hand side of the keyboard. For some reason the numbers on the top of the keyboard do not function the same way.

à - Alt + 0 2 2 4
è - Alt + 0 2 3 2
ì - Alt + 0 2 3 6
ò - Alt + 0 2 4 2
ù - Alt + 0 2 4 9
À - Alt + 0 1 9 2
È - Alt + 0 2 0 0
Ì - Alt + 0 2 0 4
Ò - Alt + 0 2 1 0
Ù - Alt + 0 2 1 7

For more info visit:- http://home.earthlink.net/~awinkelried/ ... tcuts.html

A più tardi.

dmj120

Post by dmj120 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:54 pm

Yes, but for laptop users this does not work.
Family, dogs, bike, work ----- in that order.

Mr. Kawasaki gave us 12k rpm, its criminal not to use them :!: :P :mrgreen: :wink:

dmj120

Post by dmj120 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:56 pm

That is why I posted http://www.impariamo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2676

It only takes 2 minutes to set up and 2 seconds to switch back and forth, when needed.

Mr. Kawasaki gave us 12k rpm, its criminal not to use them :!: :P :mrgreen: :wink:

Philip

Post by Philip » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:16 am

Caro DMJ, Your way works for you , My way works for me.

jade

Post by jade » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:52 pm

I use Window XP and set it up through control panel. So far it works for me. However, my problem is I find these accent letters are positioned differently in Rosetta Stone. So is there a standard Italian keyboard?

dmj120

Post by dmj120 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:05 pm

I'm sure there is a 'standard' keyboard. I know there is "Italian" and "Italian (142)" keyboard configurations you can choose.

I can't remember about the keyboard in Rosetta Stone, but I thought the program used its own keyboard.

This probably dosn't help you too much, so I appologize. Maybe shoot an email to Rosetta Stone's tech support and ask them if their program uses a "standard" Italian keyboard configuration.

jade

Post by jade » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks Josh. I think this is what I need to know. If Rosetta Stone has its own keyboard, I don't need to memorize their accent letter postions.

Not sure what Italian (142) is, it seems I only have one option of Italian on Window XP language list.

Sean36

Post by Sean36 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:21 pm

There's also the AltGr key to the right of your space bar. If you hold it down while hitting a vowel, you'll get an accented vowel. Doesn't solve all your problems, but certainly helps some of them.

Seán (<- as you can see here)

Philip

Post by Philip » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:12 am

Hmm, Looking for AltGr key....Nope, not on my keyboard!

Sèan, I think you have a keyboard manufactured for the "overseas" market, or you are still running an old IBM XT.

Reminds me of when the IBM Selectric II© typewriter was introduced back in the 70's. It was knicknamed the Golfball typewriter, because it used a typehead which resembeled a golfball with letters around it instead of dimples. This was a big breakthrough from the old typebar machine, where one was stuck with a single typeface.
Each golfball could be replaced by another golfball wih a different typeface in a few seconds. Courier 10, Courier italic, Artisan, Letter Gothic were the popular typefaces when I worked in the store at IBM back then before PC's , which a few years from being invented.

One of the options was a "French" golfball which could type accents and circumflexes using numeric/shift. One dear old lady arrived at the store complaining that her golfball did not translate English into French.
Try as I might, I could not explain to her that it merely allowed her to type symbols, and that it did not do the traslation on her behalf. It got into a heated debate when I showed her the inside of the golfball which is completely hollow. "How could it possibly do translations," I said, "there is nothing inside it, everything is on the outside." Very disgruntled she was, I was obliged to return her payment.

But worse was to come.... A lady returned her Hebrew character golfball.
Of course she needed a Selectric that typed right to left, which was an option in those days. Used for typing Japanese and Hebrew.
Useless, she said.

THe Katakana golfball was fairly straight forward to use, if you had a Right to left Selectric AND you spoke Japanese. But IBM outdid themselves with the "kanji" golfbal which wasthe other Japanese option. To use this one was required to type a line of half formed characters and then return to overtype the same line with the second half of the character, to form the Chinese type symbols of this Japanese type set. We sold the odd one or two, but mainly out of curiosity.

Ahh well, Keep It Simple....I think this works on every keyboard, tell me if I am wrong.

é = Alt +0233
è = Alt +0232
ê = Alt +0234
ë = Alt +0235
æ = Alt+0230
€ = Alt +0128

Check it out http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/internat ... dealt.html

Regards, Phil.

sorella

accents

Post by sorella » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:49 pm

No. Doesn't work for me. I have an acer laptop and none of the methods described work for me.

timLA

Re: accents

Post by timLA » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:34 pm

sorella wrote:No. Doesn't work for me. I have an acer laptop and none of the methods described work for me.
Laptops are often different because they don't have the separate "keypad" on the right side of the keyboard.

You have to push the "Function" or "Fn" key (with the Alt key), then you push the letters/numbers on the regular keyboard.
You'll see the numbers on the
7 8 9
U I O
J K L
M

keys.
There's an Fn key in the lower left.

This should be your keyboard:
http://thecaseagainst.net/wp-content/d610kbd.jpg
Una mucca dice all'altra "Hai letto della "mucca pazza"? L'altra dice "Sì, ho sentito. Che fortuna che io sono un pinguino!

dmj120

Re: accents

Post by dmj120 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:25 pm

timLA wrote:
sorella wrote:No. Doesn't work for me. I have an acer laptop and none of the methods described work for me.
Laptops are often different because they don't have the separate "keypad" on the right side of the keyboard.

You have to push the "Function" or "Fn" key (with the Alt key), then you push the letters/numbers on the regular keyboard.
You'll see the numbers on the
7 8 9
U I O
J KM

keys.
There's an Fn key in the lower left.

This should be your keyboard:
http://thecaseagainst.net/wp-content/d610kbd.jpg
That's some good stuff Tim!!!

Sorella, check out this http://www.impariamo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2676 I also use an Acer laptop. Switching back and forth from "EN" to "IT" is quick and easy.

sorella

Post by sorella » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:50 pm

Tim, my keyboard i similar but not exactly the same. Maybe it's a asouth African thing. Fn Alt e does not produce an accented e. Thanks for trying.

timLA

Post by timLA » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:26 pm

sorella wrote:Tim, my keyboard i similar but not exactly the same. Maybe it's a asouth African thing. Fn Alt e does not produce an accented e. Thanks for trying.
Ooops, I should have been more explicit.
You need to use the "Alt" numbers as noted above by Philip.

So for è, you'd
Press and hold down "Fn" and "Alt" both at the same time.
And while holding them down, you hit
"1" "3" "8" (or whatever numbers are appropriate ? 0232??)
"J" "M" "8"

Play around with the keys a bit and you'll see that when you hit the alt-fn and hold down, then start pressing the numbers, funny looking characters will show themselves.
Una mucca dice all'altra "Hai letto della "mucca pazza"? L'altra dice "Sì, ho sentito. Che fortuna che io sono un pinguino!

Devee

Post by Devee » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:04 am

You can also just use the character map which comes with Windows XP/95/98/Vista, Mac and Linux. No need to reconfigure keyboards or memorize long key combinations. Just copy and paste the letter you want to use.