Mi sa che..

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
ladybird

Mi sa che..

Post by ladybird » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:09 pm

In a recent post I saw "mi sa che", didn't have a clue how to translate it so turned to a dictionary for help.
I see that it translates as "I have a feeling that.." or "I think that.." but I understand that it's not necessary to take the subjunctive in this instance.
I know that the subjunctive has been discussed at length here recently but since "mi sa che" is expressing an opinion, why is it not necessary in this particular case?

Grazie in anticipo :)
Life is for living and learning.

forumuser

Post by forumuser » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:46 pm

Good question. Maybe because it's informal. Or maybe it has to do with the verb "sapere." If you know something, than you have no doubts. If you use mi sembra or mi pare (it seems to me) then you should use the subjunctive. Mi sa che hai ragione. Niente congiuntivo.

Carlo o qualcun'altro ci aiuteranno con una spiegazione piu' autorevole. :)

Carlo

Post by Carlo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:40 pm

Ciao forumuser! :)

I've lost count of the number of times I've said "long time no see" :)

I have nothing to add as I agree with everything you said. I'll just say that it's a great colloquial phrase I use a lot and it comes with an added bonus -- no subjunctive :)

Roby

Post by Roby » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:19 pm

Mi sa che means : I think that, I suppose that , I guess that , I'm afraid that, I have the impression that, I have a feeling that... etc.

Mi sa che is a colloquial expression. It expresses a tenative guess

The more common expressions would be :
Penso che, Mi sembra che,

You are right, Angela You would not use the subjunctive after this phrase even though you it seems appropriate.

The indicative is used when you are expressing something in a certain way, a statement or stating a fact.

The subjunctive is used when you express doubt, possibility, uncertainty, opinion, probability etc.
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

Netminder30

Post by Netminder30 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:22 pm

Great question, Angie! I saw the same expression and wondered what it meant.