Ciao da Una Californiana

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
Elizzybeth

Ciao da Una Californiana

Post by Elizzybeth »

Ciao a tutti!

Io sono Elizabeth e vengo da California, negli Stati Uniti. Studio italiano, ma voglio parlare migliore! Ho iniziato studio l'ultimo giunio e ho imparato tanto, ma sento ancora stupida (come qua, è "stupida" perche sono femminile? o è "stupido" sempre con la "o"? Non lo so!).

Ho abitato in Italia (Trento, TN)--da ottobre a dicembre dal ultimo anno--con una famiglia con due bambini, per chi lavorato. Ho solo 17 anni; quindi, quando ero la, sono andato alla scuola. Era molto difficile per me! Non ho capito quasi niente (ma nella classe di italiano per stranieri... quella classe mi piace).

Adesso, ho tornato ai Stati Uniti e manco tempo e occasioni da usare il mio italiano. Se posso migliorare qui, saro' molto felice!

Molto piacere, e non vedo l'ora che conosco tutti di voi!

(Corregi i miei errori, per piacere! Sono specificamente male con il tempo passato...)
keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking »

Ciao e benvenuta alla Bacheca!

Scrivi bene in italiano! Dovresti cercare di usare il programma, Skype, e chattare con gli italiani. Uso spesso per fare due chiacchiere con i miei amici italiani. Faccio errori molto, ma si impara più veloce quando si fa errori :)

Now for some English...An error that jumped out at me was the use of the verb, mancare.

It's better to say (I also made some other corrections):

Adesso, ho tornato [sono tornata] ai [negli] Stati Uniti e manco [mi mancano] [il] tempo e [le] occasioni da usare il mio italiano. Se posso migliorare [migliorarmi] qui, saro' molto felice!

Tutti sono sempre simpatici. Ci piace aituare :)
Roby

Post by Roby »

Benvenuta Elizzybeth al forum. Siamo contenti di averti qui con noi.

Elizzybeth , Your Italian is quite good considering you were only there for a few months. Are you taking classes at school? Here in this forum no one is stupid nor are any questions stupid. We are all learning here. We are a friendly and helpful bunch.

ho tornato ai Stati Uniti -- Sono tornata negli Stati Uniti

sono andato alla scuola.--Sono andata a scuola

non vedo l'ora che conosco tutti di voi! --Non vedo l'ora di conoscervi tutti

Essere verbs such as andare, tornare they agree with the gender

I corrected a few of them for you ...

Take a look at these links for more help
http://www.impariamo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764
http://www.impariamo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=765

Check out the free lessons section to get help with anything. If you have grammar or vocabulary questions, please post them in the Vocabulary and Grammar section.

Carlo, Peter, Gabriele, and others , this particular one I am a bit unsure of

Ho iniziato studio l'ultimo giunio e ho imparato tanto, ma sento ancora stupida--dall''ultimo giugno studio l'italiano e imparo/ho imparato tanto , ma mi sento ancora stupida

I feel that to say imparo tanto could also refer to have been learning a lot as dall' ultimo giugno studio refers to I have been studying, but then have learned is a action completed. She is no longer learning. It is difficult at times because of course she is thinking in English and at times one cannot translate literally each thought from one language to the next.
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld
Roby

Post by Roby »

Ciao Elizabeth , I have written you a pm- Private Message - Go to your private mailbox located at the top on the right. Also we have a shoutbox where you can speak to others in real time or leave messages. I have written to you below. Take a look.
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld
Peter

Post by Peter »

Ciao Elizabeth e benvenuta anche da me. :) :)
dmj120

Post by dmj120 »

Ciao Elizabeth e benventua alla bacheca :D

Vivo in Temecula CA -- 1hr north of San Diego.
Family, dogs, bike, work ----- in that order.

Mr. Kawasaki gave us 12k rpm, its criminal not to use them :!: :P :mrgreen: :wink:
Elizzybeth

Post by Elizzybeth »

Grazie mille a tutti! Abito a Monrovia, una piccola città alla conta di Los Angeles (è vicino a Pasadena, dove c'è il "Rose Parade" ogni capodanno).

I will definitely be doing some studying tonight, exploring the grammar sections of the site... it all looks very helpful (and thank you, Roby, for the links)!

I have one question, now, though regarding "mancare": I've only used it twice in writing (once here, once in my language class in Trento), and both times I've used it incorrectly. I think perhaps I've misunderstood the sense of the verb. I've been translating it as "to lack" or "to miss" but I have trouble conceptualizing either one as a reflexive verb, which "mancare" appears to be (?). In the phrase "mi mancano il tempo e le occasioni," "il tempo e le occasioni" is the compound subject, and the speaker is actually the object, correct? Meaning, were it to be translated directly into SVO English, it would read "the time and the opportunity lack myself"? If that's correct, and it's a matter of that simply being the way the sentiment is expressed in Italian, I can accept that. But I feel like I'm missing something ("sento come mi manca qualcosa"?).

I am no longer taking classes, unfortunately. My education has been a little bit strange (I entered university at the age of thirteen), and though having gotten a degree so young has mostly served me well, it's left me with this odd gap year in which most people my age are in school, and I'm just working a part-time job and waiting out the months until graduate school begins. I majored in English, however, and almost all M.A. English programs require fluency in at least one foreign language, so even my now-self-directed Italian studies are contributing toward that goal.

Again, I'm very glad to be here with you guys, and I truly appreciate the warm welcome!
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

First of all, welcome aboard Elizabath.

Now to mancare. Awkward as it sounds in English, the correct translation of your sentence is "the time and the opportunity lacks/is lacking to me". In other words, mancare takes an indirect object rather than a direct one, so "mi" represents "to me" rather than "me" or "myself". Another example is "Gli manca l'energia" = "He is lacking/lacks the energy" (ie "The energy is lacking to him"). Or "Mi manchi" = "I miss you" ("You are missing to me"). So mancare is like piacere/dispiacere, bastare etc.

You can also sometimes use "mancare di" instead but I understand it is less common - eg "Questo piatto manca di qualcosa" instead of "A questo piatto ci manca qualcosa".
Elizzybeth

Post by Elizzybeth »

Ah, thank you very much! That helps a lot.

I suppose I should have made the connection to piacere / dispiacere, but I learned them as translations for "I like" and "I don't like" long before I understood the literal sense of the syntax. "Mi piace" and "mi manca" got stashed in separate cubbyholes in my brain, evidently!
Peter

Post by Peter »

Roby wrote:Carlo, Peter, Gabriele, and others , this particular one I am a bit unsure of

Ho iniziato studio l'ultimo giunio e ho imparato tanto, ma sento ancora stupida--dall''ultimo giugno studio l'italiano e imparo/ho imparato tanto , ma mi sento ancora stupida

I feel that to say imparo tanto could also refer to have been learning a lot as dall' ultimo giugno studio refers to I have been studying, but then have learned is a action completed. She is no longer learning. It is difficult at times because of course she is thinking in English and at times one cannot translate literally each thought from one language to the next.
Roby

I think one can say Ho cominciato di studiare italiano l'ultimo giugno as I feel this simply states when one has started studying. Certainly, if you want to say I have been studying Italian since last June, then Studio italiano dall'ultimo giugno would be correct. The inference is a continuing action of studying, so we have to use the present tense + da.

A proposito, would dal giugno scorso or dallo scorso giugno be better than l'ultimo? 8)

HTH :) :)
disegno

Post by disegno »

Ciao Elizzybeth! Per qualcuno così giovani hai molto corraggio andare in Italia per abitare e lavorare. Beata te! Che hai in programma per l'anno prossimo? Andrai all'università? Ho un figlio che ha diciasette anni anche e non vede l'ora di scappare via all'università nel autunno. 8) Abito in nord california. Siamo quasi vicini di casa!
Geoff wrote:So mancare is like piacere/dispiacere, bastare etc.

Geoff ha raggione il verbo "mancare" funzione come il verbo "piacere". Tu puoi dire anche "mi sento la mancanza dell'italia" per esprimere la stessa cose come "mi manca l'italia"
è "stupida" perche sono femminile? o è "stupido" sempre con la "o"? Non lo so!

Esatto...perché tu sei una femmina gli aggettivi devono finire con "a". Sei contenta? Lei è contenta, Lui è contento, Lei è stupida, lui è stupido...ecc, ecc.

Benvenuta alla Bacheca! A presto. Melissa
Chi canta a tavola e fischia a letto e' matto perfetto.