Help Needed to Translate Song

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
labomc212

Help Needed to Translate Song

Post by labomc212 »

Hey Everyone! I'm new to this forum, but I have been searching for awhile now for the English words to an Italian song that my grandfather used to sing all the time when I was little. He picked it up in Italy during the war. Anyway, the problem is that I don't know Italian, and only can say it phonetically. Any help would really really be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Song goes as follows:

Yamma-jimmy
Yamma-jimmy pus-qual-ee
Yamma-jimmy
yamma-jimmy two say
Sin waz-aye amor-aye
A tout say pout say on

I've gotten some help in the past from people thinking that the first couple of lines could be...
My name is jimmy, my name is jimmy pasquale, you know. Without your love....

Again, this would greatly be appreciated since my grandfather isn't doing too well and I'd really like to know....

*Christine*
umberto

Post by umberto »

Dear Christine,

what a question! The beginning reminds me “Funiculì funiculà”, a traditional song in the dialect of Sicily. It might also be “Tamurriata nera”, another traditional song in Neapolitan (the best known version is that by Renato Carosone, but many other singers have performed it). Do you know, at least, whether the song is in Italian or in dialect?
labomc212

Post by labomc212 »

I'm sorry but I don't know if its in dialect or not. It's something my grandfather picked up when he was stationed over there so I'm thinking it may be dialect. I'm going to try to look up those songs that you mentioned, thanks for the help!