Italian Lessons

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Amela

Italian Lessons

Post by Amela »

Ciao a tutti,

I had an idea to help us all, beginners and experts, learn and practice their Italian grammar. I have two italian language textbooks, Oggi in Italia and Prego, that have lots of exercises in them. Unfortunately, I don't have the accompanying teacher's edition with the answers. They're old editions, but the grammar doesn't change. I would be willing to post on or two exercises a week, on Saturday or Sunday, if one or more of the experts would, at the end of the week, provide the answers.

Amy
Elena

Post by Elena »

Amy.

Che ultimo idea! Ho il libro "Oggi In Italia" (il nuovo editione). Il web site per quel libro è anche buono: www.college.hmco.com. Clicka "Oggi in Italia" o un altro libro. Usate Ace Practice ecc.

Elena
Mindy

Post by Mindy »

Great idea, Amy! I'd be happy to provide answers (if I know them) once a week or so. I'm sure others would help pitch in to help as well!

--Mindy
disegno

Post by disegno »

Mi sembra una buon'idea! Andiamo! Cerchiamo da fare gli esercizi insieme! Melissa
Angel

Post by Angel »

Se non mi sbaglio, il mio libro del corso d'italiano ha la rispota dei esercizi. Non ricordo il nome di quel libro, ma posso cercarlo quando andro' a casa (piu' tardi).

E' possibile che facciamo questo tra varie persone, quindi ogni persona potra' scrivere dei esercizi una domenica e le domenica prossima gli scriverano altre persone.

Alla prossima,

Angel
charlene

Post by charlene »

Anch'io penso che sia una buon'idea! Ho bisogno di imparare tutto!
Charlene
Angel

Post by Angel »

Il mio libro è "Essential Italian".

Just for curiosity (since we could say that this is the country of the lawsuits): if we post here some exercises from these books (our books), are we violating any copyright (or other publications) laws?

Even though we're not doing this for profit, it just comes to my mind the kind of lawsuits I have heard of.

Alla prossima,

Angel
charlene

Post by charlene »

Hmmm. Forse tu hai ragione. C'e qualcuno qui che sia o sappia un avvocato di copyright??
Charlene
giro

Bandiera degli scofflaw

Post by giro »

A mio modo di vedere, è quasi impossibile che un casa editrice di testi della lingua italiana citarebbe qualcuno per questo.
I think the chance that a publisher of Italian language textbooks would sue or take any action at all or even notice this is tiny, microscopic, infinitesimal.
Hmmm. That word, infinitesimal, sounds sort of like it has a derivation related to the -issimo suffix in Italian. Except that we usually think of infinite in terms of hugeness, and here we're talking about the infinitely tiny. Connosce qualcosa di questa, qualcuno? Does anybody know anything about this?

Non posso traovare una parola italiana per scofflaw. Non posso trovare nemmeno un sinonimo in inglese. (I can't even find an English synonym.) Crook è sbagliato completamente. Lawbreaker è un po meglio, ma ancora molto lontano (but still way off.)
Qualsiasi correzioni saranno molto graditi
keithatengagedthinking

Re: Bandiera degli scofflaw

Post by keithatengagedthinking »

giro wrote:A mio modo di vedere, è quasi impossibile che un casa editrice di testi della lingua italiana citarebbe qualcuno per questo.
I think the chance that a publisher of Italian language textbooks would sue or take any action at all or even notice this is tiny, microscopic, infinitesimal.
Hmmm. That word, infinitesimal, sounds sort of like it has a derivation related to the -issimo suffix in Italian. Except that we usually think of infinite in terms of hugeness, and here we're talking about the infinitely tiny. Connosce qualcosa di questa, qualcuno? Does anybody know anything about this?

Non posso traovare una parola italiana per scofflaw. Non posso trovare nemmeno un sinonimo in inglese. (I can't even find an English synonym.) Crook è sbagliato completamente. Lawbreaker è un po meglio, ma ancora molto lontano (but still way off.)
I really doubt that Houghton Mifflin is going to sue. The worst that would happen is that they would present a cease and desist order or simply an email or phone call asking that you please stop. Considering that we all buy their books, I'm sure that they would lose more business than they would gain.

So, please post your exercises. It's not like you are scanning the book and distributing it to us. And who is to say that you couldn't have come up with the same exercises on your own!? 8)

We're just having fun so....Impariamo italiano, ok? Hehehe
Keith
keithatengagedthinking

Re: Bandiera degli scofflaw

Post by keithatengagedthinking »

giro wrote:A mio modo di vedere, è quasi impossibile che un casa editrice di testi della lingua italiana citarebbe qualcuno per questo.

Here you go:

Regarding scofflaw:
"Scofflaw" was the winning entry in a national contest during Prohibition to coin a word to characterize a person who drinks illegally, chosen from more than 25,000 entries; the $200 winning prize was split between two contestants who sent in the word separately, Henry Irving Dale and Miss Kate L. Butler.

A scofflaw is a "contemptous violator of the law". I believe the Italian equivalent would be "trasgressore sprezzante (o insolente?) della legge" :)
Antonio Giusti

La Grammatica

Post by Antonio Giusti »

Ciao!

Anch' io penso che questa sia una buona idea!

-- Antonio
Mindy

Post by Mindy »

So - Amy - when can we start? :wink: :D

--Mindy
Angel

Post by Angel »

Well, I'll use the title of a song that my nephew likes:
Let's get started.

Before posting anything in here, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page, so, let's say I found these exercises. They are very simple, but it might be a good start also for those who think they are just beginners.

A presto,

Angel

1. MAKE THE FOLLOWING ADJECTIVES AGREE WITH THE NOUNS/THE PERSON TO WHICH THEY REFER:
la signorira italian_
il professore australian_
il ragazzo belg_
l'amica giappones_
un amico ungheres_
un'agenzia olandes_
parliamo la lingua svedes_

2. COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES USING THE APPROPRIATE FORMS OF THE VERBS ESSERE AND FARE, AND INSERT THE CORRECT FORM OF THE MISSING VERB ENDINGS.
Io ___ di Boston, e lei, signorina Alberti, di dov'___? ___ di Milano.
Di dove ___ Paul? ___ di Boston.
Mi chiam_ Marco Valli e ___ australiano.
Paul studi__ l'italiano con il professor Valli.
Io ___ nato in Australia, ma parl__ bene l'italiano.
E la tua amica di dov'___? ___ tedesca anche lei.

3. ONLY ONE OF THE CHOICES IN THESE SENTENCES IS CORRECT. WHICH IS IT?
Sono nato in/a/per Boston
Sono qui in/a/per America in/a/per lavoro
Insegno in/a/da Milano in/a/da una scuola
Sono italiana, sono di/a/da Milano
Elena

Post by Elena »

A proposito....il libro "Oggi in Italia" gia ha molti exercizi sul web.C'è il nuovo editione...provete www.college.hmco.com. Ho frequentato un corso d'italiano e il professore darci i compiti sul web Houghton Mifflin Company. Anche potete vedere un video ed ha risposta alle domande.
Non dobbiamo scrivere le domande perche`possiamo cercarne sul web!
Mi dica che ne pensa.
Elena