Problem Listening

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Melissa489

Problem Listening

Post by Melissa489 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 am

Hi All
I am currently studying italian, sometimes you think you are doing well in a class but when you watch an italian movie without subtitles they speak so fast. I often wonder if im not grasping the language at all
In everyones learning experience, whats the best way to understand italian when watching a film or listening to someone speak. I have tried watching a scene over and over and to try to pickup some words and using the subtitles text file.

grazie!
Melissa

Devery

Post by Devery » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:48 pm

Listening is probably the hardest thing to "learn" when it comes to a language.
Sometime I feel the same way. If there is a different dialect or even a different cadence I have a hard time understanding.
The best thing you can do is surround yourself with it.
--You can go to Rai.it and watch sitcom shows online.
--Try to purchase or check out (library) as many Italian lessons WITH audio CD's.
--We live in America and we recently purchased a DVD player that can play PAL formats--the European format (in America we have a NTSC format). So now we can play DVD's from Italy.
--Maybe find some friends on Skype and chat with them in Italian (I'm sure you can find someone here).
--See if there are any classes locally that teach Italian. Here where I live they have a class where no one can speak English, the whole lesson is done in Italian.

There are tons of things you can do. The most important thing to do is just surround yourself with Italian. How do you think kids learn a language? It's because they are around it every day. You can't learn a language by going to a class once a week. You literally have to throw yourself in; surround yourself.

:wink:

umberto

Post by umberto » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:20 pm

I completely agree with Devery! Be careful: lots of Italian movies often mix Italian with dialects, especially comedies (it’s because this combination may arouse hilarity). Remember that dialects are not different versions of the standard language: they’re real indipendent languages. Last year I watched Mimì metallurgico, a movie by Lina Wertmuller half in Italian half in the dialect of Sicily: believe me, if the part in diaclect had been in English, I would have surely understood more! So, don’t worry if you don’t understand a movie! I'd rather suggest you to watch a foreign movie dubbed in Italian: I guess it’s going to be easier!

BiologoMarino

Post by BiologoMarino » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:26 pm

Maybe you can try with kids program...they're not so interesting, but I watch them to improve my English...and after that, the movies.

Melissa489

Post by Melissa489 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:07 am

Grazie tutti
I have found (Ho Trovato) some internet tv from milano

I think listening and pausing and rewinding is helping :)

grazir

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:19 am

Ciao Melissa

I posted almost exactly the same question a couple of years ago!
I would echo the good advice given to you by the others but would certainly recommend Rai.it as you have a good selection of programmes to choose from. One programme that I have found particularly helpful is "Un posto al sole", a soap which is on daily. Although I can't stand soaps and don't watch those in the UK, it is useful as the programme is only 20 mins long and the dialogue tends to be quite repetitive.

Good luck!
Life is for living and learning.

Roby

Post by Roby » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:23 pm

Melissa,

Everyone has given you great advice. Here is the post that Ladybird posted some time ago. You will find a lot of information under this thread.
http://impariamo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1416
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

Devery

Post by Devery » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:48 pm

ladybird wrote:Ciao Melissa

I posted almost exactly the same question a couple of years ago!
I would echo the good advice given to you by the others but would certainly recommend Rai.it as you have a good selection of programmes to choose from. One programme that I have found particularly helpful is "Un posto al sole", a soap which is on daily. Although I can't stand soaps and don't watch those in the UK, it is useful as the programme is only 20 mins long and the dialogue tends to be quite repetitive.

Good luck!
Hey Angie!

When my mother in law comes to America she watches that show religiously. She watches it over in Italy so when she found out she could watch it here she was in seventh heaven! I never was fond of it though. ;)

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:56 pm

Ciao Dev, come va? :)

To be honest I hate soaps with a vengeance but now that my Italian class is finished, I need to practise my listening skills and this seems the best way.
Even if some of the storylines are beyond belief.. :roll: :lol:
Life is for living and learning.

giuseppe

Re: Problem Listening

Post by giuseppe » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Melissa489 wrote:Hi All
I am currently studying italian, sometimes you think you are doing well in a class but when you watch an italian movie without subtitles they speak so fast. I often wonder if im not grasping the language at all
In everyones learning experience, whats the best way to understand italian when watching a film or listening to someone speak. I have tried watching a scene over and over and to try to pickup some words and using the subtitles text file.

grazie!
Melissa
Subtitles are undoubtedly useful to improve one's reading skills. However, in my experience the most effective way of watching a film is to do that without any subtitles.

Why?
Think about this: if someone were talking to you, could you rely on subtitles?
I don't think so...

In other words, you are supposed to train your ear, not your eyes. Otherwise you'd better choose a good book. If you can't understand anything of what is being said, try choosing something easier, or slower. There's plenty of material to work with.

Watching a film for native speakers is simply out of a beginner's reach.
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light.

Davide

Post by Davide » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:16 am

'Subtitles are undoubtedly useful to improve one's reading skills. However, in my experience the most effective way of watching a film is to do that without any subtitles. '

Totally agree with you Giuseppe - relying on subtitles can make you too reliant on the written word, which makes developing listening skills even harder (I happen think that this is the most difficult aspect of learning a foreign language).

Even if soaps aren't your cup of tea (I hate soaps) the language is usually fairly simple and they're an excellent way of listening to Italian. Try just watching a clip straight through and then start breaking it down into sections. You could make up some questions for yourself on the clip and try to answer them. Just listen, listen, listen and then listen again. It takes a lot of practice, but it does get easier. :)

Ember

Post by Ember » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:52 pm

When I watch an English or American movie, I sometimes watch it with English subtitles so I can learn the pronunciation, and the risk that I lose the whole meaning is zero :) then, I watch it without the subtitles and it's much more easy!!
*** homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto ***

Gianni

Re: Problem Listening

Post by Gianni » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Hello Melissa! My name is John and i am from Greece. Believe me... listening is quite difficult in all languages!!! I found it difficult even when i had my english exams... the same happens with italian. Next month me and my girlfriend we are going to sit the exams for the italian language, and i also worried about the part of listening!!! But i am an optimistic person! Do the same! :D

Spero che gli esami siano facili! Buona notte!