Cappuccino By-Laws

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
stefano2

Cappuccino By-Laws

Post by stefano2 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:38 pm

Abriged

These are the rules for buying a cappuccino according to Matt Frei in his book on the Italian Political System . Do Italians still stick by these rules?

Rule 1 Never have a cappuccino after eleven o'clock , It is attended as a morning meal with a cornetto! If you do order after eleven give the person behind the bar a reason i.e Working early in am...do not say your hungover this is very un-Italian....

Rule 2 Never order a a cappuccino after lunch! How can you pour all that hot milk on a stomach filled with pasta,meat & cheese. They will know you don't live in Italy. The price may go up as a result. If you offered a cappuccino at any time in broken English leave as its a tourist cafe and neither cheap or good!

Rule3 Never have your cappuccino sitting down unless you want to pay a lot to sit outside

Rule 4 Always know what type cappuccino or espresso i.e bollente or coretto!

Rule 5 Always take your receipt and carry it 80 yards ITS Just the Law

If I have to remember this lot just to drink coffee maybe Italy not the paradise for me!
Inglese più difettoso italiano difettoso

Roby

Post by Roby » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:39 pm

Good post Stefano! I was told drinking a cappuccino after 10 am was a no no... I put your post in the Travel information in Italia thread in the Miscellaneous section of the Free Lessons section.
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

Ember

Re: Cappuccino By-Laws

Post by Ember » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:11 pm

Rules are ok but remember that everybody should follow his pleasure during the cappuccino experience... :D actually I always have my cappuccino whenever I want (well of course only in the morning... in the afternoon or evening, cappuccino is... yeuch! Things for German and Englishmen :P ), and sitting at the table! Living in a small town, nobody is going to ask me to pay more just because my bottom is on a chair :D
If it's early in the morning, I usually order also a croissant.

And, cappuccino is only one! Corretto, espresso, etc are types of coffee.
*** homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto ***