The best books for studying Italian!?

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
keithatengagedthinking

The best books for studying Italian!?

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Sat May 21, 2005 8:28 pm

I'm going to add a page to my website this summer.
I'm going to create a bibliography of books for learning Italian, Italian literature and try to make an area -- I was thinking of following the library of congress set up.

But first, I want to start with two categories:
1) Books/textbooks to begin your journey into learning a foreign language

2) Books on Italian grammar/usage/etc. for intermediate to advanced users.

So if anyone has any suggestions, please post them here, and I can begin my research. I think that this would be a great tool for people studying Italian. In my opinion anyway :)

Keith

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Mon May 23, 2005 2:37 am

Ciao Keith,

I did a lot of research on the most highly regarded books for those learning the Italian language. The links I provide in my signature below, as well as the images at the bottom of the page, represent the "best of the best", as far as I have been able to determine.

Hope this helps!

--Mindy

Annamaria

Post by Annamaria » Tue May 24, 2005 12:52 am

Is there anyone besides me, who uses cyberitalian.com? I think it's a very good website from beginners to advanced and costs a fraction of a course. You can even have voice chats with the "prof" who's a native Italian.

Annamaria

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Tue May 24, 2005 3:36 pm

Annamaria wrote:Is there anyone besides me, who uses cyberitalian.com? I think it's a very good website from beginners to advanced and costs a fraction of a course. You can even have voice chats with the "prof" who's a native Italian.

Annamaria
I have tried out some of their free courses. I read some good things about them when they first "debuted" - what is it like?

Keith

Antonio Giusti

Some texts to consider

Post by Antonio Giusti » Sun May 29, 2005 8:16 am

Hi all:

Here're two books I really like: Maiden/Robustelli's "A Reference Grammar of Modern Italian" and Marcello Sensini's "La Grammatica della Lingua Italiana." They're both good, the first with lots of info, though little specifically about developing a sense of style in written Italian. The latter is a great resource -- it's a behemouth of almost 700 pages, written in Italian -- and includes tons of details about all those pesky questions that constantly arise. Still, little re style. Maiden's available stateside; I had or order Sensini from Italy, but it has been well worth the trouble. Anybody find a good style book yet, comparable to an Italian version of Strunk & White's "Elements of Style"? If so, do let me know. Ciao!

-- Antonio

Post by Guest » Tue May 31, 2005 5:26 pm

Cyberitalian is good. What I like about it is that it's structured and I get immediate feed back on the exsercises. Some of the forum topics are interesting too. I've never had a voice chat as I don't have a microphone. (What an excuse?!! :roll: ) After the lesson there is also a section about some aspect of Italian culture. And you can listen to all of the text both from the lesson and the cultural part.

Annamaria