Video to watch for practice

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Andrew

Video to watch for practice

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:39 pm

Felice Anno Nuovo a tutti!

I have a quick question; does anyone know where I could find video (of anything, news, TV shows, sport, as long as it's spoken reasonably slowly) that I can download and put on a portable player or something? I've had a go at RAIclick but for some reason my internet connection doesn't deal well with streaming it. I'm just trying to find something I can watch repeatedly on the train or at home so I can practice my listening skills.

Cheers for your help!
Please correct me when I attempt to use Italian, I'm still learning :)

giuseppe

Post by giuseppe » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:14 pm

Just open iTunes Store and you will find find lots of free Italian podcasts (audio or video), Rai included.
Here is a screenshot from the video section:
and there are many more. They don't speak 'slowly' though...
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends
It gives a lovely light.

Devery

Post by Devery » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Cyn posted this site a couple of days ago:
http://www.text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/

You could always take any and every text you find (maybe from Corriere della Sera), copy and paste it, and listen to how it is spoken. I know it's not a video, nor is it perfect, but I don't see why this would be a bad way to get a feel for the spoken word.

Besides Rai online, I don't know of any other free services out there in a video format.

My wife and I recently purchased a DVD player that is compatible with the formats of Europe so we can play videos from that region (Italy :D). Of course we have family in Italy so I can just call them up and have them send us a DVD at any time. So that might be something to think about if you could somehow get your hands on DVD's from Italy.

Also check your local library. I am sure they will have some Italian DVD's for you to check out.

Alex V.

Video with transcripts

Post by Alex V. » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:15 am

Hi Andrew,

if you are looking for videos with transcripts provided to help understanding, check out the site of Incontro Italiano, there is a section with videos in Italian with the transcript underneath and a glossary with word explanations. You'll need to register at the site but that's free. You can't easily put them on your ipod but there are some interesting videos about politics and musica italiana.

Alex

Learn Italian online with Incontro Italiano Audio Magazine - Audio, Video, Blog, Free Podcast with transcript, glossary and exercises - Study the Italian language and learn about Italy!

Roby

Post by Roby » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi Andrew

You will find a lot of helpful information here

http://impariamo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1416
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld