New Here

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
MommysPlace

New Here

Post by MommysPlace » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:17 pm

Hi all. I'm new here. Found this forum from selfstartersweeklytips forum. Anyway, I speak NO Italian...as you can see. I hope I can still join in though.

I married into an Italian family and just love them so much. My married name is Taliercio :) My husbands Italian family lives in FL and in Italy so I've never met them. :cry: My husbands father is Italian, and his mom is Irish and German. So I know his moms side of the family.

But I've spoken to his Italian family...the ones that can speak English, and they are just so sweet.

Here's the thing...I want to send his grandma a short letter in Italian and was wondering if you all could teach me a little Italian and help me translate the note from english to italian?

Can't wait to get to know you all better :D
Nell Taliercio
Work-at-Home Moms

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:48 pm

Ciao Nell, and welcome to the forum! :D You're welcome to post in English - most of us here speak English as a native language.

I LOVE Lynn Terry's site - in fact, I created this forum website with all of the things I learned there!

You should definitely take a trip to visit Italy if you ever have the opportunity. The people are wonderful - as you have already experienced with your husband's family. What part of Italy are they from? Does he speak any Italian?

We'd be happy to help you learn some Italian, or at least enough to translate a letter to your husband's nonna. :)

A presto,
Mindy

MommysPlace

Post by MommysPlace » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:06 pm

Thank you for the wonderful welcome! :D I'm off to feed the little bambino (i think thats right. LOL). But I'll be back soon to answer your questions :)
Nell Taliercio
Work-at-Home Moms

tpp

Post by tpp » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:20 pm

hello,

i am new to this site as well. my goal is to be fluent and to teach my 2 year old son to speak .. writing is difficult for me as it takes me a long time to express my thoughts thus the english.hope to be able write better as time goes.

i speak only italian to my son....i am comfortable because i can go at my own speed and talk while i am learning myself. we listen to tapes as well as read books.my question is,'where can i find the best videos/movies that i can get in italian?'i wish i can get some cartoons in italian etc...i have come up empty though. hope you guys can help.

please respond in italian as i am really trying to immerse myself in the language.

looking to getting to know you all.

ciao.
tpp

MommysPlace

Post by MommysPlace » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:53 pm

Mindy wrote:Ciao Nell, and welcome to the forum! :D You're welcome to post in English - most of us here speak English as a native language.

I LOVE Lynn Terry's site - in fact, I created this forum website with all of the things I learned there!

You should definitely take a trip to visit Italy if you ever have the opportunity. The people are wonderful - as you have already experienced with your husband's family. What part of Italy are they from? Does he speak any Italian?

We'd be happy to help you learn some Italian, or at least enough to translate a letter to your husband's nonna. :)

A presto,
Mindy
My husband does not speak much Italian. He wasn't raised around that side of his family and didn't see his Grandma too much when he was older. He saw her all the time when he was a young guy. It's sad to me that his father didn't get his sons more involved in their heritage. I really want our son, who is 6 months old, to love and respect his Italian and Irish hertiage. So not only do I want to be able to speak Italian (and write it) to communicate with Adams family, but I want to teach Nicky how to speak it. At least speak some Italian. And I think it would be amazing to know another language.

Adam says his family is from a town in Italy called coopberitima (sp?)
Well, I'll get the letter posted so you can help me. Thank you :)
Nell Taliercio
Work-at-Home Moms

jrobbo

Post by jrobbo » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:03 pm

tpp wrote:hello,
i speak only italian to my son....i am comfortable because i can go at my own speed and talk while i am learning myself. we listen to tapes as well as read books.my question is,'where can i find the best videos/movies that i can get in italian?'i wish i can get some cartoons in italian etc...i have come up empty though. hope you guys can help.

ciao.
tpp
Ciao tpp,

Benvenuto al sito. Sono anche nuova qua, e sono anche imparare L'Italiano, lentemente.

Molto DVD ha molto lingue, qualche ha lingua Italiana. so "Apollo 13" e "O, Brother where art thou" ha lingua Italiana. sarò trovare (sorry, I know that's wrong, I don't know how to do future tense yet!) una lista per tu.

Ciao, John

//

Hi tpp,

Welcome to the site. I am also new here, and I am also learning Italian, slowly.

Many DVDs have many language tracks on them, some have Italian sound tracks on them. I know "Apollo 13" and " O, borther, where art thou" have Italian tracks on them. I will find a list for you.

Regards

John

jrobbo

Post by jrobbo » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:09 pm

MommysPlace wrote:So not only do I want to be able to speak Italian (and write it) to communicate with Adams family,
LOL, when I first read that, I thought you were referring to your in-laws as "The Adams Family", I had to read it twice before I understood you correctly :D

Regards

John

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:58 am

Ciao tpp, welcome to the forum! :D

I, too, speak Italian to my 2 children, but it's an uphill battle to teach them because they speak English all day. My dream is to give them the opportunity to spend summers with their nonna in Italy, but I'd even settle for one month - I think this would make a tremendous difference in their assimilation of the language. I'd be more than happy to swap tips with you on how we can raise truly bi-lingual children.

Here's one suggestion (for anyone, really - not just for kids) - next time you visit Italy, buy a DVD player and a converter (so you can plug it in in the U.S.). Then you can buy DVDs in Italy or on an Italian website or even on eBay (www.eBay.it). And play them at home. We have a bunch of Disney movies - Elisa's current favorites are Il Re Leone and Bella e la Bestia. 8)

--Mindy

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:10 am

John - Saw the pics of your trip to Italy and the tour of Maserati - very cool!!! 8)

Nell - Thanks for the reply. I don't recognize the (phonetic) name of Adam's family's hometown (not The Adams Family - haha :lol: ).

--Mindy

tpp

Post by tpp » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:11 pm

buon giorno a tutti,

thank you all for the replies....it is good to hear from you.
also,thanks for all your help....i did come across some of the movies that you spoke about{apollo 13 etc.-i am going to get that for myself but i was hoping for some kid movies.il mio figlio ha due anni.

mindy, that does indeed sound like a great idea re;dvd player with converter.do you know if it at all possible to get that here in the states.?those movies would be great!!it is so frustrating that every movie has language options in just spanish and french.

anyway,any tips would be hugely appreciated. i really want to be able to write this post in italian also.....we would possibly have 5 grandchildren each though by the time i finished this post!! i will certainly give it a try though.

a presto,
tpp
tom

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:12 pm

Tom,

The alternative to buying a DVD player in Italy is to buy a multi-region DVD player, like this one on Amazon:

Philips 642/ 37 Region Free - Code free DIVX PAL NTSC DVD Player

Hope this helps!

--Mindy

designer

Post by designer » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:49 pm

ciao Nell,

I'm fairly new to Italian also, I've been trying for a while but not progressing much. :lol: You're lucky to have family you can correspond with in Italian. I wish I knew an Italian speaker around here. I talk to my dogs in Italian, my son doesn't like me to talk to him. He's 15, need I say more. :lol:
Carol m

Mindy, do you have to have a multiregion DVD player to play Italian DVDs? Or does it translate or something?

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:54 pm

designer wrote:Mindy, do you have to have a multiregion DVD player to play Italian DVDs? Or does it translate or something?
Carol,

This DVD player will play DVDs from anywhere in the world. As you may know, if you buy a DVD in Italy, it won't play in a regular DVD player in the U.S., because DVDs are programmed to play in certain "regions". The film industry has used this technique to protect and regulate the release of films in different parts of the world. The Philips 642/ 37 Region Free - Code free DIVX PAL NTSC DVD Player will play DVDs from anywhere!

--Mindy

tpp

Post by tpp » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:59 pm

mindy,

magnifico!!!!anche grazie!! allora,dove posso comprare il video? quale sito?il mio figlio piace molto 'disney'ma noi abbiamo solo in espanol o francias e naturalmente in englese.

tom

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:14 pm

Tom,

Per trovare DVD in italiano, vai qui:

http://www.italiadvd.it/pagweb/anima01.htm

Oppure, puoi sempre provare su www.ebay.it.

--Mindy