Help with the imperfect subjunctive

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
yjom324

Help with the imperfect subjunctive

Post by yjom324 »

Hi everyone,

I've been learning Italian for two weeks now, and would be grateful if someone could confirm that I've correctly translated the following sentence into Italian:

I would have done it if I had had the time - Lo avrei fatto se avessi avuto il tempo

I've utilised the imperfect subjunctive, which I hope is correct.

Many thanks in advance.

Stephen
brindge

Post by brindge »

It looks good to me :)))

Great job!! You can already speak like this after just 2 weeks? I'm totally impressed!

Barbara
tesorotreasures.etsy.com
polideuce

Post by polideuce »

Al momento i neuroni sono poco collaborativi, ma penso che la frase manchi di un "ne";

"lo avrei fatto se ne avessi avuto il tempo"... attendi un altro parere perchè stamane non sono molto in forma ;)
yjom324

Post by yjom324 »

Thanks for the above replies! I've spent those two weeks focusing exclusively on the grammar, so my vocabulary is extremely limited. I'm really enjoying learning Italian, and it's great to be able to use sites like this when one comes unstuck. Thanks again!
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

Just a minor point, yiom. What you used (correctly, by the way) is not the imperfect subjunctive (avessi) but the pluperfect (or past perfect) subjunctive (avessi fatto).
The former is used in condtional sentences where you're hypothesizing about the present or the future:

Se avessi più tempo libero andrei in palestra

The latter is used when hypothesizing about the past:

Se fossi venuto alla festa ti saresti divertito molto