I'm New :)

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Alissa72

I'm New :)

Post by Alissa72 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:31 am

My name is Alissa, Ali for short. I don't know any Italian at all!! Learning from scratch...also learning a little Greek.

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:31 pm

Ciao Ali e benvenuta alla Bacheca

This is a very friendly site with people more than happy to help you with your Italian. You do not say where you are from - America, Britain etc. - but wherever you are there must be adult education classes at a local college that caters for beginners like yourself. I believe that is the best way to learn, because you have the interaction between class members.
Try it sometime!

Hope to speak with you again

Fede

Benvenuta Ali!

Post by Fede » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:34 pm

Ciao Ali -- La Bacheca is a fun way to learn and you'll find links to many valuable resources for learning. In addition, I recommend you listen the Rai radio to hear the spoken language (www.Rai.it). Also, there are beginners' lessons on Abruzzo2000.com and you can sign up for a free weekly newsletter on About.com. Divertiteti! (have fun!)

FEDE
Fede

Bellaebrava

Post by Bellaebrava » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:37 pm

Ciao Ali,

Welcome, welcome! You'll love La Bacheca because it really is a special place. Remember--- everyone who is here was like you are now---at first none of us knew any Italian! My advice is, "Study and practice every day." I have 4 stepping stones in my garden each with a part of this verse by Edgar Guest:

It matters not what goal you seek
It's secret here reposes,
You have to dig from week to week
To get results or roses.

The secret of learning anything is to acutally stick with it and make it's practice a part of your day's activities.

When you learn a little more, you might enjoy a pen pal. This way you not only learn the language, but you learn about the Italian culture.

Have a lot of fun learning this wonderful language!

Ciao, Bella

michelangelo

I'm New : )

Post by michelangelo » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:53 pm

Ciao Ali,

I too am a beginner and so don't be intimidated by being here. This is a fun place to learn Italian. If you don't know something, ask it here -- have fun with it. Right now I've stumbled onto a new Italian song and I really love it. I don't know exactly what the song is saying, but I can break down the song with the few words that I already know. But there are people here that will help me translate the whole song more accurately and if they don't have all the translation, they'll ask for help as well. For me, listening to Italian songs helps introduce me to more words that I haven't encountered before. That is one way that I learn and have fun with the language.

You'll soon find out what an amazing language it is. Here are just a few words or phrases to start your journey. I'm sure that more people here will be more than willing to tell you what books to start learning from and what CDs you need to buy. Have you meet Mindy yet? She's amazingly helpful.

Mi chiamo Michaelangelo -- My name is Michaelangelo
Come sta? -- How are you?
Come va? -- How are things?
Molto bene, grazie. E lei? -- Very well, thanks. And you?
Cosi, cosi -- So, so
Buon giorno -- Good morning or good day.
Buona sera -- Good evening
Buona note -- Good night
Per favore -- Please
Mi scusi... signorina / signora / signore. -- Excuse me... miss / ma'am / sir.
Grazie -- Thanks
Prego -- You are welcome
Arrivederci -- I'll be seeing you
A più tardi -- I'll see you later
Ciao -- Hello or So long
Mi dispiace -- I'm sorry.

Io capisco l'inglese. -- I understand English.
Parla l'inglese? -- Do you speak English?
Parlo un po' l'italiano. -- I speak a little Italian.
Io non capisco. -- I do not understand.
Non so. -- I don't know.
Per favore parli più piano. -- Please speak more slowly.
Lo ripeta, per favore. -- Repeat it, please.
Che significa questa parola? -- What does this word mean?
Che cos'è? -- What is that?
Come si dice "window" in italiano? -- How do you say "window" in Italian?
Io capisco un'po l'italiano, ma non molto bene. -- I understand a little Italian, but not very good.
Io non capisco l'italiano. -- I don't understand Italian.

My one advice for you now is that there is a formal and informal ways of saying things. And since you are beginning, also learn a few of the formal ways of saying things. Also when in doubt use the formal way. For instance, "Arrivederci" is used for someone you're familiar with and "Arrivderla" is for someone you've just met or used as a sign of respect, like for a teacher or something... but everyone here uses "Arrivederci or A presto" or something. We are all friends here. (If I've explained this wrong, can someone please correct me.)

Enjoy your new journey and piacere -- glad to meet you,
Michaelangelo
----------------
If you have a pc and you use Internet Explorer, click on this link to listen to some amazing italian songs. Good luck again and A più tardi...
http://home.comcast.net/~ragbulos/lp.html
Last edited by michelangelo on Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:18 pm

Ciao Ali, e benvenuta alla Bacheca! :D

I'm glad you've joined us! As you can see, we're a pretty friendly bunch. Feel free to post in Italian when you feel ready. In the meantime, tell us a little more about yourself. Why are you studying Italian? Have you ever been to Italy? What methods are you using to learn (classes, private lessons tapes/CDs/books, etc.)?

Looking forward to getting to know you better!

A presto,
Mindy

keithatengagedthinking

Piacere mio!

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:31 am

Nice to meet you :)

If you are starting from scratch, check out the Italian language section on the BBC website -- http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/italian/index.shtml

This site is great beacuse it has audio component to help you hear the words, say them along with the Italian speakers, as well as fun exercises!

Welcome and if we (as in the users of La Bacheca) can be of any help to you, please do not hesitate to ask us!

Sincerely,

Fede

BBC Web Site

Post by Fede » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:46 pm

Tante grazie Keith. Che sito meraviglioso! Fede
Fede

keithatengagedthinking

Re: BBC Web Site

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:31 pm

Fede wrote:Tante grazie Keith. Che sito meraviglioso! Fede
BBC is a great resource - I always say that when learning a language, it's fine if you can read and write, but you really need to understand what you here.

It's ironic...I haven't used the BBC site in a few years and now I go back after having learnt so much and now I understand everything that before was a challenge!

Keith

ps-I think that they have a Greek language component too!!