What are your learning methods?

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Machiavelli

What are your learning methods?

Post by Machiavelli » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:44 pm

I was just wondering if everyone could share what methods they used to learn italian? I'm sure everyone had a different way of learning. Could help me and others who are starting to learn or have difficulty learning. One of your methods or a combination of people's methods could do the trick. :P

disegno

Post by disegno » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:28 am

At first I began by concentrating on studying grammar and expanding my vocabulary. Then I wrote something everyday in Italian (for example I posted something in this forum on a daily basis). Then I began reading Italian novels... Then listening to the language in tapes, music, movies and tv... Then finding others to practice conversation with...

You have to do a little of everything from listening, speaking, writing, reading and thinking in the language...all these things move you ahead little by little. You also have to set aside a least half an hour each day to devote to any one of these things.
Chi canta a tavola e fischia a letto e' matto perfetto.

leenico

Post by leenico » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:37 pm

Melissa tu mi hai ispirato! Ma che cosa posso fare per la pigrizia? :lol:
Il cuore dello stupido è nella sua bocca, ma la bocca del saggio è nel suo cuore.

Machiavelli

Post by Machiavelli » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:15 am

disegno wrote:At first I began by concentrating on studying grammar and expanding my vocabulary. Then I wrote something everyday in Italian (for example I posted something in this forum on a daily basis). Then I began reading Italian novels... Then listening to the language in tapes, music, movies and tv... Then finding others to practice conversation with...

You have to do a little of everything from listening, speaking, writing, reading and thinking in the language...all these things move you ahead little by little. You also have to set aside a least half an hour each day to devote to any one of these things.
That is very good advice.. that is why i joined this forum to write something each time here in italian though my sentences are very simplistic for now... but my life has been a little hectic lately that i have found it difficult to study lately... but i did learn yesterday how to make a word plural and i'm learning numbers...

disegno

Post by disegno » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:15 am

Complimenti Machiavelli! I wish more people would write little things on this site everyday, even if it is to talk about the weather or something silly they did that day (think Facebook entry!) and people can contribute and continue the thread. This is a fabulous way to think and write a little Italian every day.
Chi canta a tavola e fischia a letto e' matto perfetto.

Machiavelli

Post by Machiavelli » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:10 am

A little tired today but i managed to learn numbers 0 to 14 today:

zero
uno
due
tre
quattro
cinque
sei
sette
otto
nove
dieci
undici
dodici
tredici
quattordici

My problem is that I'll study for a few days and then slack off for a few days. I have to keep pushing myself. The two books I am using are good though. Though sometimes they show too much for the mind to digest imo. These are the two books i use mainly:

1. Living Language Ultimate Italian, basic-intermediate

2. See it & Say it in Italian

Machiavelli

Post by Machiavelli » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:36 pm

just wanted to give this one a bump because i hate seeing my threads sink to the bottom.. lol also I think it's a useful thread for neophytes like me...

Davide

Post by Davide » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:14 pm

I can well remember my early days starting with a BBC course called 'Buongiorno Italia'. Since then I've used various grammar books, Linguaphone and Assimil. I buy Italian movies on DVD and listen to a lot of Italian music. I read newspapers such as 'La Repubblica' online and talk to an Italian friend on Skype.

Oh and I talk to myself a lot :shock:
Last edited by Davide on Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leenico

Post by leenico » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:39 am

As far as expanding your vocabulary, it is more meaningful trying to memorize sentences than individual words. You will find that the sentences stay with you. Learning in that way also helps with your understanding of the grammer.
Il cuore dello stupido è nella sua bocca, ma la bocca del saggio è nel suo cuore.

umberto

Post by umberto » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:02 pm

I haven’t got any peculiar method to learn foreign languages: time is a little, and good intentions die soon... If I could, I’d like to spend a long, long, long period abroad.

Machiavelli

Post by Machiavelli » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:11 pm

Davide wrote:
Oh and I talk to myself a lot :shock:
LoL me too. :lol: As for the rest, very good advice. grazie.

Machiavelli

Post by Machiavelli » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:13 pm

leenico wrote:As far as expanding your vocabulary, it is more meaningful trying to memorize sentences than individual words. You will find that the sentences stay with you. Learning in that way also helps with your understanding of the grammer.
Yah, that is what I am trying right now. I am reading from Easy Italian Reader by Riccarda Saggese. Not easy though but I will press on. I will try to read the italian newspapers as well online.

pssst, grammar not grammer :lol:

leenico

Post by leenico » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:50 pm

pssst, grammar not grammer :lol:

Nobody likes a smart ass. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by leenico on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

leenico

Post by leenico » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:22 am

I will try to read the italian newspapers as well online.
I find Italian newspapers tough to read. Sometimes I read the love columns. It's more understandable, they talk in a more down to earth language.

http://forum.corriere.it/questioni_damore/

leenico

Post by leenico » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:36 am

time is a little, and good intentions die soon.
Umberto! Devi dire <<time is short.>> :lol: