Translation for a Tattoo

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Jenanzalone

Translation for a Tattoo

Post by Jenanzalone »

I am interested in getting a tattoo in Italian with words from my favorite song. The words are, "Remind me that we'll always have each other." If someone could translate I would greatly appreciate it! It's going to be pretty big so it needs to be completely accurate please!!!
Peter

Re: Translation for a Tattoo

Post by Peter »

Jenanzalone wrote: "Remind me that we'll always have each other."
"Ricorda a me che avremo sempre l'un l'altro"

but wait to see if one of our Italian friends comes up with a true translation!
Jenanzalone

Post by Jenanzalone »

Is this one you came up with or one from the internet by chance? I searched on Google Translator and it was similar to this one too.
Peter

Post by Peter »

One thing I do not do is use online translators. They are totally useless. You have used this site to ask for a translation; I have given you one. For sure, one of our Italian members will confirm or correct what I wrote, but I do not really think you have any cause to question it.
Jenanzalone

Post by Jenanzalone »

Sorry to offend, not my intent! Simply thought that maybe my translation was accurate on iGoogle after reading yours, which is a good thing, not trying to call you out.
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Hi!

I'm not Italian, but I think that it would read easier (and would make the tattoo slighty shorter to write and therefore less painful) if you wrote:

Mi ricorda che avremo sempre l'un l'altro.

It's just that writing it "ricorda a me" is using a stressed pronoun and "mi ricorda" is unstressed.

One question though... :? Peter, how do you translate (and why have you written) "l'un l'altro"? What's the point of both " l' "s
polideuce

Post by polideuce »

"ricordami che avremo sempre l'un l'altro" :)
polideuce

Post by polideuce »

coffeecup wrote: One question though... :? Peter, how do you translate (and why have you written) "l'un l'altro"? What's the point of both " l' "s
sarebbe "lo uno lo altro" ma visto che vi è l'incontro di due vocali quella dell'articolo si elide e viene sostituita da una apostrofo: "l'un l'altro" così è più facile leggerlo :)
Peter

Post by Peter »

polideuce wrote:
coffeecup wrote: One question though... :? Peter, how do you translate (and why have you written) "l'un l'altro"? What's the point of both " l' "s
sarebbe "lo uno lo altro" ma visto che vi è l'incontro di due vocali quella dell'articolo si elide e viene sostituita da una apostrofo: "l'un l'altro" così è più facile leggerlo :)
grazie, Gabriele. L'hai spiegato benissimo! :) :)
Ember

Post by Ember »

Anyway it doesn't sound so nice in Italian :D
*** homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto ***
Jenanzalone

Post by Jenanzalone »

Another question, does it matter if this is a female saying this about a male?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Jenanzalone wrote:Another question, does it matter if this is a female saying this about a male?
No. There is nothing in the sentence that requires change of gender.