I need an Italian to help with name pronunication

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
ArgumentWinner

I need an Italian to help with name pronunication

Post by ArgumentWinner » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:37 am

I need an Italian to settle a dispute for me. My friend's last name is Garofalo. For her entire life, she and her whole family have pronounced it "gar-FO-luh." I have been trying to convince her that her last name is in fact pronounced "guh-ROF-uh-lo" since this is the only way I had ever heard it pronounced and even online pronunciation guides agree with me.

She claims that her family's pronunciation of the name takes after the authentic Italian pronunciation, because "Italians pronounce things differently." In other words, she knows I'm right, but she won't admit it until I get confirmation from an actual Italian living in Italy.

I thought someone might be able to help me out here. Please, if you are actually a resident of Italy, vindicate me and put an end to this madness.

-Luca-

Re: I need an Italian to help with name pronunication

Post by -Luca- » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:44 am

ArgumentWinner wrote:I need an Italian to settle a dispute for me. My friend's last name is Garofalo. For her entire life, she and her whole family have pronounced it "gar-FO-luh." I have been trying to convince her that her last name is in fact pronounced "guh-ROF-uh-lo" since this is the only way I had ever heard it pronounced and even online pronunciation guides agree with me.

She claims that her family's pronunciation of the name takes after the authentic Italian pronunciation, because "Italians pronounce things differently." In other words, she knows I'm right, but she won't admit it until I get confirmation from an actual Italian living in Italy.

I thought someone might be able to help me out here. Please, if you are actually a resident of Italy, vindicate me and put an end to this madness.
Ciao e benvenuto!

Garofalo, sounds the same as Garofano, that is a flower.

Italians, do pronunce 99% as a word is written.

(So, Garofalo would be pronunced G U' R O F U L O with probably the accent at the first U.) <---- NOT CORRECT

EDITED, The accents goes con the O : Garòfalo.
Last edited by -Luca- on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!

biagio

Post by biagio » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:51 pm

Gah-rOh-fah-loh

biagio

Post by biagio » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:53 pm

How on earth can Garofalo become Gar-FO-luh it's definitely beyond me...

biagio

Re: I need an Italian to help with name pronunication

Post by biagio » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Luca84 wrote:
ArgumentWinner wrote:I need an Italian to settle a dispute for me. My friend's last name is Garofalo. For her entire life, she and her whole family have pronounced it "gar-FO-luh." I have been trying to convince her that her last name is in fact pronounced "guh-ROF-uh-lo" since this is the only way I had ever heard it pronounced and even online pronunciation guides agree with me.

Ciao e benvenuto!

Garofalo, sounds the same as Garofano, that is a flower.

Italians, do pronunce 99% as a word is written.

So, Garofalo would be pronunced G U' R O F U L O with probably the accent at the first U.

Chiedo scusa, Luca, ma come fai a dire che l'accento va "probabilmente" sulla prima "u"?
A parte che io traslittererei "ah" e non "u", ma son dettagli, l'accento va sulla "o", non ci sono santi. Almeno da questa parte dell'Atlantico.

-Luca-

Post by -Luca- » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Si, è stata una svista. Pensi una cosa e scrivi un'altra. In psicologia lo chiameremmo un classico "errore dell'attenzione". Meno specificamente : abbaglio , svista.

Garòfalo, with the accent on the "o"
Italians don't know what Caesar salad is !!

ArgumentWinner

Post by ArgumentWinner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:50 pm