Begining Italian learner (Noi, Abbiamo)

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
keeg92

Begining Italian learner (Noi, Abbiamo)

Post by keeg92 »

Hello I just started learning Italian through Rosetta stone, and have been for about 2 months now but I have some questions.

1. why or should you say Noi Abbiamo ex. noi abbiamo giocato a golf, to a native English speaker it looks like word by word you are saying "we we played golf".
2. also when do you use "mi" and when do you use "Io".

Last are there any other programs I should use besides Rosetta stone for my Italian learning, besides taking a class, I will attend a class as soon as I am able.
BillyShears

Re: Begining Italian learner (Noi, Abbiamo)

Post by BillyShears »

keeg92 wrote:Hello I just started learning Italian through Rosetta stone, and have been for about 2 months now but I have some questions.

1. why or should you say Noi Abbiamo ex. noi abbiamo giocato a golf, to a native English speaker it looks like word by word you are saying "we we played golf".
You really don't need the pronoun in this example. You'll learn this as you continue with your studies. An example of using the pronoun is when you want emphasize. But in that case the pronoun will usually follow the verb. Example - "Stasera paghiamo noi." "Tonight we're paying (we insist)."
keeg92 wrote:2. also when do you use "mi" and when do you use "Io".
"Io" is used as a personal pronoun equivalent to "I" in English. "mi" can be a direct, indirect, or reflexive pronoun meaning "me", "to me", "for me", "myself", etc. I self learn also so I know that you're introduced to new terms with no explanations and no instructor to ask. Often "the new term" is explained several chapters later. If you come across something new and unexplained, ask here with an example. Or you might want to try to research it here in the free lessons section.
keeg92 wrote:Last are there any other programs I should use besides Rosetta stone for my Italian learning, besides taking a class, I will attend a class as soon as I am able.
Something inexpensive that you might want to buy is "Essential Italian Grammar" by Olga Ragusa. Somewhere down the road you may also want to pick up "Schaum's Outline of Italian Grammar" by Joseph Germano and Conrad Schmitt and "Schaum's Outline of Italian Vocabulary" by Luigi Bonaffini, Fiorenza Consonni Clark and Conrad J. Schmitt.

BS
Impariamo.com has a Facebook page < https://www.facebook.com/impariamo.com >

Chi domanda non fa errori.
keeg92

Post by keeg92 »

thanks very much, grazie