Help with a translation!

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
Winnipeg

Help with a translation!

Post by Winnipeg »

Hello, just like to say hi as I am new to these forums. I think it's a great tool in language learning!

Anyways I was wondering if someone could help me with a direct translation:

English: "I would take a plane to get there and then would rent a car once I had arrived."

Italian: "Vorrei prendere un aereo per arrivare e poi sarebbe affittare una macchina, una volta ero arrivato."

I know this translation is wrong, can someone help me here? Is noleggiare the right word I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Matty
maelström

Re: Help with a translation!

Post by maelström »

Winnipeg wrote: English: "I would take a plane to get there and then would rent a car once I had arrived."
Italian: "Vorrei prendere un aereo per arrivare e poi sarebbe affittare una macchina, una volta ero arrivato."
Your sentence is almost perfect. The verb "noleggiare" is precisely what you're looking for. The verb "affittare", however, is acceptable as well:

"Prenderei un aereo per arrivare lì e poi affitterei una macchina, una volta arrivato."
"Prenderei un aereo per arrivare lì e poi noleggerei una macchina, una volta arrivato."

A better form, less redunant and "more Italian" is:
"Prenderei un aereo e, una volta arrivato lì, noleggerei una macchina."

"I would rent" is conditional, so you have to translate it into the Italian equivalent: "Io noleggerei".
Winnipeg

Post by Winnipeg »

That works great, thank you!