computer question for italiano/languages

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Post Reply
Machiavelli
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:52 am

computer question for italiano/languages

Post by Machiavelli » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:04 pm

I have a HP Pavilion D4 laptop computer... apparently as far as i know i am not able to type letters with accent marks etc. Perhaps someone here knows about this computer or some sort of solution. I would like to type in accent marks in correct places in a word because I feel it's important to know. Any help is appreciated. grazie. :P

User avatar
Davide
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:38 pm
Location: UK

Post by Davide » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:21 pm

Have a look on the main keyboard to see if any of the keys have numbers on them. If so, they are the equivalent of the number keys found on the right hand side of a full sized keyboard. If there is also an FN (function) key if you hold this down and at the same time press the NUM Lock key, it will activate these number keys. You can then use ALT-number sequences such as ALT 0232 which will give you è. It's a long-winded process and another, but just a slow method is to use the character map to insert special characters.

Hope this helps.

Davide
Skype: storebror2

Please identify yourself first before you add me.

User avatar
Chris Corbyn
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:32 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Chris Corbyn » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:36 am


raphaelt
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:06 pm

Post by raphaelt » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi Machiavelli,

Which operating system are you using? If you are using Windows, there is a little utility program called Character Map which lists all the characters in the different fonts on your system. This utility can serve a dual purpose for us language students. First, as Davide said, most characters have a keyboard shortcut that you can type in to make the character appear. You hold down the ALT key and then type in four digits, and release the ALT key. Character map lists the keyboard shortcut for these symbols. Secondly, if you select the symbol you wish to use in Character Map, and then click "copy", it copies that symbol to the Windows clipboard. You can then use edit -> paste in your browser window to paste that symbol into your message.

In Windows XP (and I think Vista and Win7) character map can be found by going to START -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools. I use it so frequently that I have made a shortcut for it on my desktop, and also pinned it to the start menu.

Note that it doesn't matter which font you select for display, because the character codes for all the symbols are the same regardless of font. Simply choose a standard font like Arial or Verdana, then scroll up or down in the character map until you locate the symbol you wish to type.

It's a really great idea to try to memorize some of the most common symbols. Since I work in print and web design, I've long since memorized many of them.

Here are a few crucial to Italian to get you started. You can even print this out and keep it by your computer:

È = ALT+0200

É = ALT+0201

è = ALT+0232

é = ALT+0233

à = ALT+0224

ì = ALT+0236

ò = ALT+0242

ù = ALT+0249


I hope that helps!

jade
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:39 pm

Re: computer question for italiano/languages

Post by jade » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Machiavelli wrote:I have a HP Pavilion D4 laptop computer... apparently as far as i know i am not able to type letters with accent marks etc. Perhaps someone here knows about this computer or some sort of solution. I would like to type in accent marks in correct places in a word because I feel it's important to know. Any help is appreciated. grazie. :P
Hi Machiavelli,
Sometimes ago someone posted this link on the forum for typing Italian accent marks online, which I find pretty useful: http://italian.typeit.org/ . But it is a bit inconvenient if you are chatting online because you will have to copy and paste your sentences all the time.
If you are using Windows, you should be able to go to Control Panel -> Language, Clock and Region to add Italian language, and then you can switch on and off Italian through the taskbar. When you switch it on, the accent marks are on the keyboard. But the whole keyboard is a little different from the English one, you need to get used to it. If you are using Linux or Apple, then I don’t know.

User avatar
Peter
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: Horsham, West Sussex, England

Post by Peter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 am

With Apple, when using Safari, one can go to Edit>Special Characters, which includes all accented letters.

User avatar
Chris Corbyn
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:32 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Chris Corbyn » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:03 am

Peter wrote:With Apple, when using Safari, one can go to Edit>Special Characters, which includes all accented letters.
The much easier way:

alt + e, then type the letter = for example é
alt + ` (backtick), then type the letter = for example è

I think those are all you need to know for Italian, but if you need to know others, let me know. They're all simple :)

User avatar
calum
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:46 pm
Location: Scozia
Contact:

Re: computer question for italiano/languages

Post by calum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Machiavelli wrote:I have a HP Pavilion D4 laptop computer... apparently as far as i know i am not able to type letters with accent marks etc. Perhaps someone here knows about this computer or some sort of solution. I would like to type in accent marks in correct places in a word because I feel it's important to know. Any help is appreciated. grazie. :P
You could just keep a text file on your desktop with the following string of letters: à è é È ì ò ó ù , then cut & paste as required. Alternatively there is a very useful site at http://italian.typeit.org/ which allows you to type Italian characters.

Calum

Machiavelli
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:52 am

Post by Machiavelli » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:00 am

raphaelt wrote:Hi Machiavelli,

Which operating system are you using? If you are using Windows, there is a little utility program called Character Map which lists all the characters in the different fonts on your system. This utility can serve a dual purpose for us language students. First, as Davide said, most characters have a keyboard shortcut that you can type in to make the character appear. You hold down the ALT key and then type in four digits, and release the ALT key. Character map lists the keyboard shortcut for these symbols. Secondly, if you select the symbol you wish to use in Character Map, and then click "copy", it copies that symbol to the Windows clipboard. You can then use edit -> paste in your browser window to paste that symbol into your message.

In Windows XP (and I think Vista and Win7) character map can be found by going to START -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools. I use it so frequently that I have made a shortcut for it on my desktop, and also pinned it to the start menu.

Note that it doesn't matter which font you select for display, because the character codes for all the symbols are the same regardless of font. Simply choose a standard font like Arial or Verdana, then scroll up or down in the character map until you locate the symbol you wish to type.

It's a really great idea to try to memorize some of the most common symbols. Since I work in print and web design, I've long since memorized many of them.

Here are a few crucial to Italian to get you started. You can even print this out and keep it by your computer:

È = ALT+0200

É = ALT+0201

è = ALT+0232

é = ALT+0233

à = ALT+0224

ì = ALT+0236

ò = ALT+0242

ù = ALT+0249


I hope that helps!
I found the character map but when i type it, it doesn't seem to work. For example for an accented "e" it shows : U+00E9 . the ALT + number sequences you guys are giving me are also not working. Weird.... my old computer i could do it but not on this one with Windows Vista...

raphaelt
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:06 pm

Post by raphaelt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Machiavelli wrote:I found the character map but when i type it, it doesn't seem to work. For example for an accented "e" it shows : U+00E9 . the ALT + number sequences you guys are giving me are also not working. Weird.... my old computer i could do it but not on this one with Windows Vista...
I had to reread your first post before I realized why you were having this problem. Because you're on a laptop, there are some additional steps to take to punch in these Alt Codes (as they are known).

On a desktop computer keyboard, you must punch in the code in the numeric keypad ONLY -- you cannot use the row of numbers. Because laptops don't have a separate keypad generally, you have to enable the num lock feature which switches some of your other keys temporarily into a keypad.

Rather than describe it for you, there is a good site which has written instructions and a youtube video to show you how to do this. Go here:

http://alt-codes.org/laptop/

Hopefully that will get you going! Buona fortuna! :)

By the way, the other code that character map shows which you are referencing, on the left of the bottom info line, beginning with a "U", is the Unicode alt code. Unicode is a different, and much more robust, international character set than the traditional North American ISO character set. After pressing and holding down the Alt key, you then press the "+" key on the keypad, then the hexadecimal code listed in character map. Note once again that on a laptop you must enable the num lock / keypad feature to enter the numbers or punching in the Unicode will also not work.

Roby
Posts: 3850
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:06 pm

Post by Roby » Fri May 13, 2011 4:30 pm

Last edited by Roby on Fri May 13, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests