A little help

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
EliaCappuccio

A little help

Post by EliaCappuccio » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:21 am

Hello, I've been away for a while, I have been using Rosetta stone, that helping 40% of a bit. They don't really elaborate on grammar. That's awful to waste so much money on a product that doesn't teach you the grammar.

Anyway, I wanted to know if i'm writing this write, tu parlo inglese or is it tu parli inglese ?

Do italians use pro nouns like do, to, it, can, or anything else that start off a sentence.

Thanks

Peter

Re: A little help

Post by Peter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:15 am

EliaCappuccio wrote:Hello, I've been away for a while, I have been using Rosetta stone, that helping 40% of a bit. They don't really elaborate on grammar. That's awful to waste so much money on a product that doesn't teach you the grammar.

Anyway, I wanted to know if i'm writing this write, tu parlo inglese or is it tu parli inglese ?

Do italians use pro nouns like do, to, it, can, or anything else that start off a sentence.

Thanks
Elia, I have to agree that not elaborating on grammar is terrible, particularly when Italian grammar does differ in some respects from English.

If you want to say 'do you speak English', then it is parli inglese. That is the informal manner. There actually is no need to use tu, or any of the other personal pronouns since the verb usage indicates whether it is 1st, 2nd , 3rd person singular or plural. Saying that, you can use the pronoun for emphasis. The formal, Lei, version, of 'do you speak English' is parla inglese. It is important to understand when to use the informal and formal senses; this is something that we don't have in English.

That in a way helps to answer your last query, although I would say that of the four examples you quoted, only it is a pronoun. Do and can are verbs and to is a preposition.

To is a in Italian, and you can start a sentence, often in the form of a question, with a. For example, a che devo l'onore means to what do I owe the honour.

Hope this helps. :)

umberto

Post by umberto » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:28 am

As for questions and how to put them,

Tu parli inglese = You speak English
Tu parli inglese? = Do you speak English

The intonation is, as a general rule, enough to understand whether you're asking a question or not. In the most informal speech, the invertion of the subject (noun or pronoun) and of the verb is allowed to avoid misuderstandings (ex. legal speech):

Parli tu inglese?

During the marriage, the priest asks:

Vuoi tu prendere la qui presente come tua legittima sposa?

Roby

Post by Roby » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Check out this link. It will be very helpful.

http://impariamo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36284
Roby
"Per raro che sia, il vero amore e' meno raro della vera amicizia."

"As rare as true love is, it is not as rare as true friendship."
- François de La Rochefoucauld