words with multible meanings

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
designer

words with multible meanings

Post by designer » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:16 am

We have words in English with multible meanings, does this also happen in Italian?
For example, I know that the direction, left ,is sinistra. But how would you say you "left" your luggage at the airport?

Roby

Re: words with multible meanings

Post by Roby » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:45 am

designer wrote:We have words in English with multible meanings, does this also happen in Italian?
For example, I know that the direction, left ,is sinistra. But how would you say you "left" your luggage at the airport?
Carol,

You're right! SINISTRA is the term used for "left" for a direction, your hand, on the left, to the left, the left lane, to keep to the left, left wing, etc.

Es.

Tenere al sinistra
To keep to the left

Girare al sinistra
To turn to the left

La sinistra
the left

The verb LASCIARE is used in regards to leaving something, to leave from somewhere, to allow someone to do something, to drop it or forget it, to drop someone off,to let/give someone have something,to omit something, to leave or keep a little of something, to let it be, let it alone, to split up with someone, to leave someone, to let someone go ,etc.

Es.
Ho lasciato il mio bagaglio (luggage singular) all'aereoporto / Ho lasciato la mia valigia (suitcase singular) all'aereoporto
I left my luggage at the airport/ I left my suitcase at the airport

Mi puoi/puo' lasciare la macchina oggi?
Can you leave me the car today?/ Can you let me have the car today?
(puoi ..informal puo' ...formal)

Lascia stare/ Lascia perdere/Lascia correre
Drop it! Forget it!

Ha lasciato New York nel 1996.
He/She left New York in 1996.

HTH
Roby

Annamaria

Post by Annamaria » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:07 pm

Carol,

Every language has words that have multiple meanings but they won't be the same ones as in English. Italian has quite a few words that, written, are the same and the only difference is where you put the stress. E.g.

àncora achor but ancòra is still (in normal writing you dont put the accent over the vowel)
su'bito immediately, but subìto is undergone
prìncipi princes but princìpi principles
ìmpari odd (numbers) but impàri you learn
càpitano they turn up but capitàno captain

etc.

but even in the true sense of multiple meaning there are examples
like buio, it means dark but can also mean anger, like in the Eros song ' il buio ha i tuoi occhi'. Just be happy you're not learning Korean, where a word can have 20 meanings!

Annamaria