Ciao!

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
l'italiano_david

Ciao!

Post by l'italiano_david » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:33 am

Ciao, mi chiamo e' David e ho imparare piu italiano. io sono italiano d'origine.
That's as far as I can really really get. I know a lot of present conjugations.. and some vocabulary. Can anybody help me learn more Italian? My s/n is Fupa Convention on AIM. Thank you for your time.

Franco

try this

Post by Franco » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:47 am

If you really want to learn, you have to do it on your own.

Go to your local library and see if they have Pimsleur Basic Italian CDs, Level 1 or Basic. I forget what it's called. If the library does not have them, ask how to do an interlibrary loan.

When you get the CDs, rip them to MP3.
Put them on your mp3 player. If you don't have one, a good quality one under $70 will do. 128Mb is a sufficient size.

Listen to the lessons as often as you can. Don't worry about the book....there isn't a book.

When you are done with basic, do the same for intermediate, then theadvanced....90 lessons in all.

At the same time, go to this site:
http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/modla ... geone.html

and start the lessons. Twenty lessons will keep you busy. This will teach you the grammer and some vocabulary.

Use this for a dictionary:
www.wordreference.com

For a music break, but only if you have access to a high speed connection, go here:
http://www.pierpaolosilvestri.it/pierpaolo/video.html

When you can write at a strong basic level, get on some IM program and find Italians to chat with. When you can talk at a strong basic level, get on Skype and chat with Italians.

Franco

l'italiano_david

Post by l'italiano_david » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:54 am

Thanks. Hopefully this will help me out a lot. Italian has always been an interest to me, but most high schools don't offer it. I know ones in NYC do, but thats 3 1/2 hours away. A lot of colleges that I want to go to don't offer it either, especially for what profession I'm getting into. Oh well, thank you. :D

Franco

learning italian

Post by Franco » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:00 am

Ciao David,

You can learn from the internet and with Pimsleur.

In bocca al lupo. (Good luck).

Franco

leenico

Post by leenico » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:56 am

Two great sites. I already knew about WR. When I checked out the music site, the first video I looked at was called Andrea. Really great music. I recommend everyone to try it. Thanks for the links. It takes a while to download.
Il cuore dello stupido è nella sua bocca, ma la bocca del saggio è nel suo cuore.

Mindy

Post by Mindy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:12 pm

Ciao David, e benvenuto alla Bacheca! :D

Franco had some really great suggestions. The only thing I'd add is to jump right in and start practicing what you're learning. For starters:

Di dove sei? Sei mai stato in Italia? Da dove viene la tua famiglia in Italia (hai detto che sei d'origine italiana)? Che cosa ti piace fare nel tuo tempo libero?

Ciao e a presto!

--Mindy

l'italiano_david

Post by l'italiano_david » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:35 am

Buongiorno, Mindy. Abito a New York. No, non mai sono in Italia. Mi famiglia e' da Matera (my mom's maiden name is Matera.) Io mi piaco parlare con amici.

That's basically the extent of my Italian so far.. lol.

l'italiano_david

Post by l'italiano_david » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:35 am

Buongiorno, Mindy. Abito a New York. No, non mai sono in Italia. Mi famiglia e' da Matera (my mom's maiden name is Matera.) Io mi piaco parlare con amici.

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:11 pm

l'italiano_david wrote:Buongiorno, Mindy. Abito a New York. No, non mai sono in Italia. Mi famiglia e' da Matera (my mom's maiden name is Matera.) Io mi piaco parlare con amici.

Benvenuto alla Bacheca! :)

When I first started learning Italian, I used the BBC Italian Steps.
It's been around for a few years now, and it's pretty good. Check it out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/italian/index.shtml

Great exercises, lots of audio and you can even practice with the dialogues too!

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:16 pm

l'italiano_david wrote:Buongiorno, Mindy. Abito a New York. No, non mai sono in Italia. Mi famiglia e' da Matera (my mom's maiden name is Matera.) Io mi piaco parlare con amici.

Also, check out:
http://www.cyraknow-audio.com/products.html

They publish language packs in various languages for ipods.
Cool site -- I haven't tried it but a friend of mine has - she says it's pretty good.

disegno

Post by disegno » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:48 pm

Ciao Davide, benvenuto alla Bacheca. Sono contenta di vederti qui. Non sono mai andata a Matera, ma ho scambiate le lettere con un'amica che abita là. So solamente, che quello è il posto dovè Mel Gibson ha girato il suo film "The Passion of Christ".

Mel Gibson chose to shoot in November because of the particular color of the light in this month on the soft stones of the ancient part of Matera. The landscape surrounding Matera looks very similar to the one surrounding Jerusalem.

Buona fortuna con imparare italiano. Secondo me, devi studiare un po' ogni giorno per migliorare! Ciao Melissa

l'italiano_david

Post by l'italiano_david » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:20 pm

Ciao a tutti! Comprai due libri oggi. Un libro si chiama "501 Italian Verbs," e il altro libro e' "Oxford Italian Dictionary." Con speranza, avranno aiutato imparo piu' Italiano. Spero questo e' buono italiano. Dimmi che pensi.

Ciao.

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:48 am

l'italiano_david wrote:Ciao a tutti! Comprai due libri oggi. Un libro si chiama "501 Italian Verbs," e il altro libro e' "Oxford Italian Dictionary." Con speranza, avranno aiutato imparo piu' Italiano. Spero questo e' buono italiano. Dimmi che pensi.

Ciao.
If I may make some helpful corrections :)
I'm not perfect by any means myself.

il altro libro = l'altro libro

Usually, it would be il libro, but because the altro proceeds, it has to be l'altro because of the vowel sound.

In Italian, languages are not capitalized.

Italian = italiano
English = inglese

Starting out, I would stick to the present tense when talking about the future. The adverb, "oggi" (today), implies the future, and instead it would be simpler to say:

Compro oggi due libri. = Today I am buying two books.

Let us know in the Bacheca if you have any questions! :)

[/i]