for people who want to practise their Italian

Join us here for some fun chit chat, or share your opinions on rumours and gossip in the news. Beginners and advanced Italian speakers are all welcome!
Carlinhoske

for people who want to practise their Italian

Post by Carlinhoske » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:25 am

Hi,

For the people who want to practise their Italian (beginners or advanced), I would like to remind you that an excellent way to do so is reading and posting on this forum: http://www.vacanzelinguistiche.com/Forum. The subject of the forum is 'Italy, Italian language and all things related', the language is mainly Italian. You'll find language exercises (pronounciation, grammar exercises, conversation exercises), I'll regularly insert interesting newspaper articles, you'll find recipes, postings on actual topics of Italian society (or larger of course), general advice about Italian literature or music, discussions on cities, places, restaurants, etc, to visit in Italy, ideas for Italian classes etcetera. I've also inserted a topic 'L'Italia nel mondo anglofono' which could be interesting to some of you. I'll renew the forum almost every day.
In general I can say that this forum is explicitly directed to people learning and studying Italian: the language is Italian, but nobody should criticize anyone if there are mistakes in a posting .... So feel free to come and use it and make the forum richer. Have a good day,

Carl Hourcau, webmaster

Carlinhoske

Berlusconi interview on tv

Post by Carlinhoske » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi, and have you people seen this already? This too is Italy ...

http://repubblicaradio.repubblica.it/pl ... s&ref=2168

Any comments? Anything comparable in your country? In Belgium this is quite inimaginable, I think ...

Greetings,
Carl

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:17 pm

Carl, thanks for the information regarding your forum.

I think there is another topic with an article regarding Berlusconi's action during the interview http://impariamo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=736 .

I do not know much about Italian politics, Berlusconi or that journalist. This video just shows a little bit of the program, so I do not know what was happening before. From what the video shows, it seems to me that they both were behaving like kids.

If you, a journalist, want to interview a person then it is fair to ask a question, let the person answer, and if you want to then add your comments to the answer.

It seems that none of them wanted the other to talk.

A presto,

Angel

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:19 pm

Angel wrote:Carl, thanks for the information regarding your forum.

I think there is another topic with an article regarding Berlusconi's action during the interview http://impariamo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=736 .

I do not know much about Italian politics, Berlusconi or that journalist. This video just shows a little bit of the program, so I do not know what was happening before. From what the video shows, it seems to me that they both were behaving like kids.

If you, a journalist, want to interview a person then it is fair to ask a question, let the person answer, and if you want to then add your comments to the answer.

It seems that none of them wanted the other to talk.

A presto,

Angel
The woman journalist (her name escapes me) probably should not have done the interview. She quit her job in protest of Berlusconi and the government policies so it was an explosive situation watiting to happen.

The incident made Berlusconi look like a fool. If he can't handle a perhaps "biased" journalist eager to get her story and to intimidate the prime minister, should he be in government? Certainly this is not the first time an over-zealous journalist has confronted him?

Massimo

Post by Massimo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:12 pm

It is the first time indeed keith, which explains his reaction. He is used to journalists "bending on their knees" when interviewing him. Ms. Annunziata (that's the journalist's name) should have behaved more professionally, but the whole episode helped people understand once and for all who the man is, and how he can handle situations when he's left on his own
Massimo

Want to learn or practice and improve your Italian? Visit : http://www.learnitalian.at.vu

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:49 pm

Massimo wrote:It is the first time indeed keith, which explains his reaction. He is used to journalists "bending on their knees" when interviewing him. Ms. Annunziata (that's the journalist's name) should have behaved more professionally, but the whole episode helped people understand once and for all who the man is, and how he can handle situations when he's left on his own
A journalist has never confronted Berlusconi like the way that she did? Wow :shock: Considering some of the strange things he has said and done of the years, I am surprised. In America, the media loves to jump all over someone. Perhaps American journalists have no shame? :lol:

I agree that she should have been less aggressive.

Angel

Post by Angel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:04 pm

I personally consider that the way the journalist was interviewing Berlusconi showed a lack of professionalism (and I must repeat that I only saw the segmet of the interview in the video that Carl made reference to).
I give more credit if the journalist ask relevant questions which demostrates that the interviewed has no logic answer (or no answer at all) for them; but if you ask a question, and you expect an answer, then you should give the other party the opportunity to answer, otherwise, why do you want to interview somebody if you're planning to do all the talking.

Angel

Lella

Post by Lella » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:04 am

"...This too is Italy..." We ALL have our bad moments, I dare say :-) And when you find episodes involving Mr. Berlusconi the chances to find some of them dramatically increase.

"...If you, a journalist, want to interview a person then it is fair to ask a question, let the person answer, and if you want to then add your comments to the answer..." It's just the strategy M. Berlusconi always uses in his interviews, speeches and so on: superposing his voice to interviewer's and either asking and answering a FAR different - his choice's - question, i.e. an attack to opposite parties or a "elogio" to his own party (for he OWNS things and people, he thinks, and that's the only relationship whom existence he seems to be able to recognize. "I own, so I am", I suppose he thinks :-) I can't say whether it's a language related problem, a mental related problem (I'm serious, and seriously have a lot of doubts about M. Berlusconi's mental health), or... Anyway, I remember having heard Ms. Annunziata saying M. Berlusconi she'll be happy being the first journalist he answered the question asked :-) But she couldn't receive that kind of satisfaction :-).

Some (or many) of the people in Italy having opposite opinions to M. Berlusconi's group of parties think that we're living in a dictaturial-like government. Even now, I can't accept that so many Italian voters have choosed to blind their own eyes, to ignore the so-called "conflitto d'interessi", to vote him, and to act in order to believe that economy will improve, job places will increase, and retired people and young workers will have better chances.
"...The woman journalist...probably should not have done the interview..." For sure she's not the calmer woman on the earth! :-) But for sure it was the very first time M. Berlusconi couldn't "play the interview" with rules choosed only by himself. That's why he enraged and went away. I capricci sono più o meno accettabili fino all'adolescenza; ma in età adulta e da parte del capo di un governo sono qualcosa di molto, molto preoccupante.

"...Certainly this is not the first time an over-zealous journalist has confronted him?..." Uhm... It's the first time a journalist comes near to "win" a confrontation with him, or at least it's the first time the public's able to know it. Anyway, M. Berlusconi owns three private tv channels, controls well the first public one, controls more or less the second one and he has some influence also on third, he owns many great publishers' groups, he or his family members own or control directly and indirectly various newspapers. So, journalists usually must be careful.

"...the whole episode helped people understand once and for all who the man is, and how he can handle situations when he's left on his own..." Uhm... But at the beginning, when he first appeared under politics's limelight, then it was yet SO clear. So Massimo, are you really sure that in spite of so many evidences of a "strange" behaviour, next April 9th and 10th's vote will be really "wise"? As for me, I'm really very worried.

"...she (the journalist) should have been less aggressive..." Uffa! Ma allora quando dovrebbe arrivare l'ora di potere arrabbiarsi ed essere grintosi (NON aggressivi; e comunque "chi semina vento raccoglie tempesta" ;-) anche da QUEST'ALTRA parte dello schieramento politico? :-) Ci sono comportamenti scorretti che ripetuti nel tempo a volte non si possono contrastare se non usando le stesse tecniche. Qualche cedimento dopo tutto questo tempo é comprensibile. Berlusconi ad ogni modo si é semplicemente trovato davanti un interlocutore non manovrabile. Ecco perché, non abituato alla cosa, ha fatto la primadonna, non ha retto e se n'é andato.

Ciao! :-)
"...Sie sprechen Alles so deutlich aus..."

Carlinhoske

Post by Carlinhoske » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:04 am

ciao Lella, bellissimo il tuo messaggio. Permetti che lo incollo e lo metto anche sul forum delle vacanze linguistiche?
I'll go on in English as this is the language of the board (although i liked the German signature, Lella, is it a quote, where does it come from?).
I agree with a lot of what has been said and certainly with what Lella said. It's true -like Angel says- that a journalist should ask questions and then let the person answer them. Generally speaking this is true. It is also true that when teaching Italian or when teaching salsa, a teacher should always remain patient, polite and friendly. Even when you have in your class two extreme right politicians who are working 'pesantemente' on your nerves since a long time, you should stay nice, friendly and calm. I guess you understand my point. Berlusconi never seems to answer questions and if he answers he's saying things like 'For the moment the weather in Belgium is wonderful, we have a nice 22° degrees Celsius' or things like that. I mean, he really tries to make you think that the sun is shining when it's clearly raining ... and then I can understand mrs. Annunziata. She will as well certainly agree that a journalist should let the interviewee answer the questions, but sometimes a person just loses his patience ...
We all have moments of weakness, some more understandable than others. And to come back to my personal matters -in case you got curious- my two Vlaams Blok (extreme right Flemish party that personally disgusts me) students eventually quit my class after testing my professionality and my patience for a year and a half ... so that's a nice Hollywood ending. Let's see if the Berlusconi story finishes well as well ...

Just like Lella, I'm not at all certain that Prodi is going to win, if people were that stupid (sorry to be that plain) to vote for him 5 years ago, why wouldn't they do it again? I hope not, because I love Italy, I love Italians, I love my Italian friends very much, and I love justice.

Greetings,

Carl

http://www.vacanzelinguistiche.com
http://www.vacanzelinguistiche.com/Forum

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:04 pm

keithatengagedthinking wrote:A journalist has never confronted Berlusconi like the way that she did? Wow :shock: Considering some of the strange things he has said and done of the years, I am surprised. In America, the media loves to jump all over someone. Perhaps American journalists have no shame? :lol:

I agree that she should have been less aggressive.

Sorry Keith, but I cannot agree here. La signora Annunziata may well have her own agenda, but a professional politician should be able to confront such challenges. Sure, Berlusconi has maintained a government for the longest period of time in Italy since WW2, but that does not give him any right to behave in the way that he does. Not for nothing is he being investigated - and I am sure you will have heard of the Mills affair (David Mills being the husband of Tessa Jowell, our not-very esteemed Culture Secretary).

The wretched man has constantly changed the legal goalposts in attempts to prevent him being arraigned on corruption charges. One has to ask why. And the only answer must be that he does truly have things to hide. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely; that could not be more apposite of the Italian prime minister. He really ought to return to Mediaset, Fininvest and all the other companies that he owns. Not that the alternative, Romano Prodi, is any better - anyone who was in charge of the totally corrupt and undemocratic European Union has to be viewed with deep suspicion.

Anyway, more power to Signora Annunziata and others like her. Journalists have every right (and an absolute duty) to highlight shortcomings of any nature in our politicians. They (the politicians) have to be totally aware of the fact that they have a moral responsibility to be honest, to be of the highest integrity. However, they seem to think they can act in any which way they like, but then, boy, don't they dislike it when they are unmasked over some sordid story. We have it all the time with Blair - who must be the most conniving and dishonest prime minister the UK has ever had - and his cronies, and yet they seem to be able to get away with it. Vide Peter Mandelson, now Trade Commissioner at the EU, but twice forced to resign from Ministerial office in the UK Government because of corrupt practices. Still he and the EU go well together.

Sorry about the rant, but I despise politics and the people who inhabit political circles (or should that be circuses?). There was a time when politicians were honourable people - in general. Oh, happy, innocent days!

keithatengagedthinking

Post by keithatengagedthinking » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:05 pm

Peter wrote:Sorry Keith, but I cannot agree here. La signora Annunziata may well have her own agenda, but a professional politician should be able to confront such challenges. Sure, Berlusconi has maintained a government for the longest period of time in Italy since WW2, but that does not give him any right to behave in the way that he does. Not for nothing is he being investigated - and I am sure you will have heard of the Mills affair (David Mills being the husband of Tessa Jowell, our not-very esteemed Culture Secretary).

The wretched man has constantly changed the legal goalposts in attempts to prevent him being arraigned on corruption charges. One has to ask why. And the only answer must be that he does truly have things to hide. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely; that could not be more apposite of the Italian prime minister. He really ought to return to Mediaset, Fininvest and all the other companies that he owns. Not that the alternative, Romano Prodi, is any better - anyone who was in charge of the totally corrupt and undemocratic European Union has to be viewed with deep suspicion.

Anyway, more power to Signora Annunziata and others like her. Journalists have every right (and an absolute duty) to highlight shortcomings of any nature in our politicians. They (the politicians) have to be totally aware of the fact that they have a moral responsibility to be honest, to be of the highest integrity. However, they seem to think they can act in any which way they like, but then, boy, don't they dislike it when they are unmasked over some sordid story. We have it all the time with Blair - who must be the most conniving and dishonest prime minister the UK has ever had - and his cronies, and yet they seem to be able to get away with it. Vide Peter Mandelson, now Trade Commissioner at the EU, but twice forced to resign from Ministerial office in the UK Government because of corrupt practices. Still he and the EU go well together.

Sorry about the rant, but I despise politics and the people who inhabit political circles (or should that be circuses?). There was a time when politicians were honourable people - in general. Oh, happy, innocent days!
I don't understand? With what did you disagree? I agree that Berlusconi should not have been ruffled by her questions. A seasoned politician and a figure constantly in the spotlight has to expect such things in their line of work. Tough questions are to be expected when you are interviewed and you are in the head of a government.

I just felt that it would have been more beneficial to have seen the interview completed. How does the expression go...if you give someone enough rope, they will find a way to hang themselves? Berlusconi seems to be good at that.

I also agree that anyone who changes the laws in a way that shields them from the law has to be hiding something. Hopefully come next month the Italian people will stream to the polls and vote against Berlusconi. This election is probably a lesser of two evils since Prodi, from what I have read, is no better than Berlusconi.

Lella

Post by Lella » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:53 pm

Ciao!

Temo di avere tolto il coperchio al vaso di Pandora... In effetti, era prevedibile, visto che la politica é uno di quegli argomenti che tocca proprio tutti, di solito in modo piuttosto sensibile. Ma a volte non riesco a mantenere il distacco. Mi scuso comunque se ho contribuito a creare disagio.

Carlinhoske, a me il mio intervento non sembra così valido; se però lei ritiene che potrebbe essere una buona cosa per il suo sito, lo usi pure. In realtà, non é coperto da copyright (^_^) e anzi mi ha stupito la sua correttezza, di cui le sono grata. Quanto alle parole che uso come "firma", é una citazione da una poesia di Rilke che inizia "Ich Fuerste mich so vor der Menschen Wort; Sie sprechen Alles so deutlich aus..." (^_^) [chiedo scusa per eventuali errori di ortografia; ho imparato a memoria la poesia ma forse, per esempio, "der" é "den"?]. Le piace Rilke?

About this topic in general and the polls for the vote, I think you should yet have seen today's Italian newspapers, containing some more interesting news ;-) If "centro sinistra" parties will win, it'll be thanks ALSO (or in a great percentage) to such "strange" behaviours. For sure "Confindustria" isn't the first centro sinistra's sponsor. Nevertheless... :-)

About Prodi in detail, my interest for politics is very recent, so I can't say how much he is honest. I imagine that NO politician can be 100% honest, and anyway one can be a liar also by omission. But there are as well many differences in comparison with the "centro destra" plans and ideas that let me have some hopes of a greater balance. Anyway, HOW do things go worse than now?

See you!
"...Sie sprechen Alles so deutlich aus..."

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Lella wrote:...
HOW do things go worse than now?
Ciao Lella, non ho molto tempo per scrivere su questo argomento, neanche conosco molto bene i vostri candidati (veramente non mi piace la politica perché tutti i politici sono gli stessi) ma posso dirti che io mi sono chiesto quella stessa domanda tante volte, anzi, venti anni circa mi sono detto che le cose non potrebbero andare peglio nel mio paese!!!!! e ogni volta le cose vanno peglio, peglio e peglio!!!!!

Porca miseria!!!!

Alla prossima,

Angel

Carlinhoske

Post by Carlinhoske » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:03 pm

ciao Angel, non sono d'accordo quando dici che tutti i politici sono uguali ... Sarebbe troppo triste e poi semplicemente non è possibile. Certo che il potere corrompe, porta a omettere di raccontare certe cose, porta a fare compromessi. Ma non li facciamo anche noi, non facciamo anche noi cose che non sono proprio 'purissime'? Per esempio paghiamo tutte le tasse che dovremmo pagare?
E' vero che l'evoluzione nel tuo paese non sia molto bella, si va da Bush a un altro ... ci sono similitudini fra l'Italia e gli Stati Uniti quando guardiamo ai loro leader (che poi vanno d'accordo a quanto pare).
Parlando di corruzione, abito in un paese in cui hanno appena scoperto affari di corruzione a tanti livelli nel calcio, con scommesse truccate; non mi stupirebbe se partisse un'onda da qui verso il calcio europeo e per esempio quello italiano ...
c

Angel

Post by Angel » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:07 pm

Ciao Carl, beh hai raggione, non tutti i politici sono uguali, ma quasi tutti :wink: .

Oggi ho tantissimo da fare, cercherò di scrivere qui dopo...

A presto,

Angel