Italian Lessons

Have a question about Italian grammar? Need a quick translation from Italian to English or vice versa? Post it here!
AgileMJOLNIR

Italian Lessons

Post by AgileMJOLNIR »

Hi everyone,

does anyone know of a good and hopefully not to expensive source for Italian lessons? The cheapest I found is $50 for each 1 1/2hr session. Taught by a retired college professor.

Thank you in advance.
Joseph Giacomo
disegno

Post by disegno »

Ciao Joseph, dove abiti in California? Where do you live in California?

Here are a couple of suggestions for you. If you are close to San Francisco there is a good school there called Italingua, where private lessons (one on one) are $50 for an hour+. Group lessons are less expensive.

I have recently found an on-line teacher through the ZapItalian website http://www.zapitalian.com/Italian-Teachers.htm (she is located in San Jose) and she gives lessons using the internet, webcam and audio hookup to students all over the world. She charges $35 for an hour+. She is great!

Spero che questo sia utile! Ciao. Melissa
Chi canta a tavola e fischia a letto e' matto perfetto.
AgileMJOLNIR

Lessons

Post by AgileMJOLNIR »

Have you tried private lessons? I am curious if they are worth it. I am in San Jose so SF is a little out of the way but I did find a retired college professor that teaches it for the same $50 for a 1 1/2hr lesson. His teachings I think are in a classroom setting and not private though.
disegno wrote:Ciao Joseph, dove abiti in California? Where do you live in California?

Here are a couple of suggestions for you. If you are close to San Francisco there is a good school there called Italingua, where private lessons (one on one) are $50 for an hour+. Group lessons are less expensive.

I have recently found an on-line teacher through the ZapItalian website http://www.zapitalian.com/Italian-Teachers.htm (she is located in San Jose) and she gives lessons using the internet, webcam and audio hookup to students all over the world. She charges $35 for an hour+. She is great!

disegno

Post by disegno »

Have you tried private lessons? I am curious if they are worth it. I am in San Jose so SF is a little out of the way but I did find a retired college professor that teaches it for the same $50 for a 1 1/2hr lesson. His teachings I think are in a classroom setting and not private though.
Yes, I have had private conversation lessons at Italingua. I was only available to go into the city during the day, and since all the group classes were only available during the evening, I arranged for private lessons during the day.

Private one-on-one lessons are very useful and helpful because they are more concentrated. However, I missed having group lessons because I think it is very useful also to interact with other people and learn from others. I think in a group setting, it is also possible to more accurately guage your own progress according to the progress of the group.

I am currently working with a Barbara Caporicci, an instructor that I found through ZapItalian. She does group lessons and is available for private lessons at a local community center and also lessons on line. I do the internet lessons because it is just too far with traffic to go to south San Jose where she is located.

This is her bio... and link to more info on her

Caporicci - San Jose, CA - Technique of teaching range from the grammar approach, to the method of speaking and listening in the target language starting from the very first lesson. 15 years experience, background in Classical Studies, Berlitz training, MA. Updated Feb/18/2006
http://www.language-school-teachers.com ... p?uid=2844

Her prices: $35 for private lesson (live and online), $25 for semi-private.
Please ask for group lessons and Corporate Group lessons fees.
First online lesson free.
AgileMJOLNIR

Lessons

Post by AgileMJOLNIR »

Thank you,

I actually did get in contact with her after you initially gave me the website information. I would probably be more interested in the semi-private lessons so as you said, I can gauge my progress accordingly and have people to practice with. I am not to hot about the onle thing myself but thats just me. I guess I like face to face interaction. Thank you so much for you help!

Joseph
disegno

Post by disegno »

I guess I like face to face interaction.
We use a web cam so we have face to face interaction...it takes a little getting used to but it is kind of fun. When you talk with someone, there are so many other distractions and it is different from simply responding to emails or doing exercises. You need to interact directly with someone to help you make progress (and have them point out immediately the mistakes that you make :wink: )

I spoke with Barbara today (we had a lesson this morning) and she mentioned she had heard from you. Good luck! She is very nice and helpful and dependable! I hope you find a good teacher who ever you choose.

In bocca al lupo!!!
keithatengagedthinking

Re: Lessons

Post by keithatengagedthinking »

AgileMJOLNIR wrote:Have you tried private lessons? I am curious if they are worth it. I am in San Jose so SF is a little out of the way but I did find a retired college professor that teaches it for the same $50 for a 1 1/2hr lesson. His teachings I think are in a classroom setting and not private though.
disegno wrote:Ciao Joseph, dove abiti in California? Where do you live in California?

Hi there!
I have weekly lessons with a teacher here in Raleigh.
It's an hour, and it's $40/hour (classes are cheaper).
The price is about $30-50/hour for a private lesson. I wouldn't pay more than that.

For my class, we do exercises in a workbook, read short stories out loud, write summaries about things I read in the news/books (recently, I read a short story by Moravia and had to summarize in my own words what the story was about), and talk about current events and general things. I usually do the work/exercises at home.

I enjoy my classes because I write better than I talk, and it also gives my ear a chance to hear the language.

Recently, I was trying to re-learn the numbers in Italian. I know it sounds sad (lol), but I am horrible with #'s in any language. Then my teacher did this drill where she would say a number in Italian and I would have write the numeric equivalent. And then she would ask me things like 30 + 7 = in Italian, and I would have to respond in Italian.

Now I know my #'s and can read the dates without having to even think about it. So if after all this I only come away with that, I'll be proud of myself :)

I have never worked with a teacher through the net, but I am sure that it is just as good as working in person. And if Melissa says it is good, then I am sure that it must be so. 8)
nnamo

Post by nnamo »

Joe,

I take group lessons at the Dante Alleghieri Society in Cambridge MA.
The lessons cost $160 for 10 weeks of 2 & 1/2 hour lessons. The lessons are taught entirely in Italian at my level, but at the beginning level they are taught in English.

SO, $160/25hours = $6.40/hour. Big difference from $35 or $50/hour. Perhaps there is a Dante Alleghieri Society near where you live.

Tom
sanfran

Post by sanfran »

Ciao Joseph-

We are lucky here in S.F. to have a few Italian-language schools- the one Melissa mentioned, Italingua, and also the Italian Cultural Institute.

I've been studing Italian at City College at night. The quality of the teaching varies, of course, from teacher to teacher and also varies depending on the students' level of ability. On the whole, though, the classes are very good. (You just have to find out which professors to avoid, as in any college.)

Have you tried the community colleges in San Jose? They must have foreign language classes at night. They probably have their class schedule on the Internet.
--Stefano
malemonr

Italian tutor

Post by malemonr »

Hi Joseph,
I'm an young Italian teacher (31 yearsl old), with experience in teaching to foreign people and Master degree about it. I live in Salerno, near Naples, Italy. I can help you as Italian "tutor" online. I've already worked by this method and it gets excellent results. My lessons include grammar Units (I send you theory lessons + exercises, you re-send them filled and I re-send you with explications + corrections: this is an Unit) and Internet conversations (by mic in MSN or Skype). 1 conversation hour: 20$
Write me if you're interested. I'll send you my C.V.
Marco