Hello

Are you a new member on Impariamo.com? Or perhaps you signed up a while ago, but you haven't posted yet? Introduce yourself here!
Eleaun

Hello

Post by Eleaun »

I'm a pure beginner so please correct the lame presentation in Italian.

Buon giorno, mi chiamo Elisabeth e sono svedese. Ho due gatti, loro nomi sono Marwin e Brownie.

That's pretty much everything at the moment I can put together with the little Italian I know, I started two days ago. I've always found Italian to be a very fun and beautiful language and now decided to actually learn it.

I've always loved languages even though I only speak two, Swedish and English. I've mostly started to understand basics of a few languages like Japanese, Greek and Latin. But I plan to learn more than the basics of Italian!

Pleased to meet you all.
Massimo

Post by Massimo »

Ciao Elisabeth and welcome to the forum. Looks like you like learning languages, and I can tell you you've found the right place to improve your Italian.

Your presentation was almost perfect! The only small mistake is about your cats :D . You should have written "i loro nomi".

Any question, feel free to ask!
Massimo

Want to learn or practice and improve your Italian? Visit : http://www.learnitalian.at.vu
Eleaun

Post by Eleaun »

Massimo wrote:Your presentation was almost perfect! The only small mistake is about your cats :D . You should have written "i loro nomi".

Any question, feel free to ask!
Thank you! :D But how come I should change it to "i loro nomi"? Why the article? I have noticed a greater use of the definite article in Italian, is there a certain reason?
Davide

Post by Davide »

Ciao and welcome to the forum.

Italian almost always uses the definite article with possessives, unless you're talking about one member of your family. If you wanted to say 'my brother' it would simply be 'mio fratello'. If you wanted to say something such as 'my car' it would be 'la mia macchina'. (and the possessive agrees with the object possessed, not with the possessor - as 'la macchina' is feminine, it's 'la mia' not 'il mio' even if you're male)

Hope that helps. As Massimo said, feel free to ask questions. :-)

Davide

Please identify yourself first before you add me.
Eleaun

Post by Eleaun »

Davide wrote:Italian almost always uses the definite article with possessives, unless you're talking about one member of your family. If you wanted to say 'my brother' it would simply be 'mio fratello'. If you wanted to say something such as 'my car' it would be 'la mia macchina'. (and the possessive agrees with the object possessed, not with the possessor - as 'la macchina' is feminine, it's 'la mia' not 'il mio' even if you're male)

Hope that helps. As Massimo said, feel free to ask questions. :-)

Davide
Thank you alot :) That really helps!
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

ciao e benvenuta anche da me! :)
без тебя я не я. нас никогда не догонят! я тебя люблю.
Davide

Post by Davide »

Just to add, that as Massimo pointed out - it has to be 'i loro nomi' because you're talking about more than one family member. :)

Massimo

Post by Massimo »

My explanation couldn't have been better than Davide's :D
Massimo

Want to learn or practice and improve your Italian? Visit : http://www.learnitalian.at.vu
Davide

Post by Davide »

Massimo wrote:My explanation couldn't have been better than Davide's :D
Hi Massimo

I thought I'd add that bit because I didn't want you to think I was being 'cocky' by adding to what you said. YOU'RE the teacher, not me :)

Davide

Massimo

Post by Massimo »

Ahahham, well, looks like you're a good student then!:-)
Massimo

Emma Reese

Re: Hello

Post by Emma Reese »

Eleaun wrote: I've mostly started to understand basics of a few languages like Japanese, Greek and Latin.
Ciao Eleaun,

Mi chiamo Emma. Sono giapponese e abito in State Uniti. Parli giapponese? Kon'nichiwa. Yoroshiku.
Eleaun

Re: Hello

Post by Eleaun »

Emma Reese wrote:Ciao Eleaun,

Mi chiamo Emma. Sono giapponese e abito in State Uniti. Parli giapponese? Kon'nichiwa. Yoroshiku.

I understood what you wrote, but I don't know how to answer in Italian :P And I don't speak Japanese, (Non parlo giapponese?) I have learned the basics when I was younger but I have forgotten most of it.
Hajimemashite.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Ciao Elisabeth e benvenuta ad Impariamo. I endorse everything that Davide and Massimo have said. Feel free to ask questions - we're only too happy to help. :)
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Minasan kon'nichiwa! (Spero che quello sia corretto :? )

posso parlare soltanto un po' di giappoese. Watashi no namae wa coffeecup desu. Anata no namae wa nanidesu ka? Ikimasho minesan!

(PLEASE correct me if that's not right. That's about the limit of my japanese.) :D
без тебя я не я. нас никогда не догонят! я тебя люблю.
Emma Reese

Post by Emma Reese »

Ciao coffeecup,

Hai fatto bene! Solo piccole correzioni. (I get to use this phrase!)

Nanidesuka - It's hard to say "nani" before "desu", so it becomes "nan desuka."

Ikimasho - It's used when you are actually going to a place, so if "let's keep at it" or something similar was what you meant, you could say "ganbarimasho."

Watashi wa Emma Reese desu. Itariago wa muzukashii kedo sugoku omoshiroi. Hatsuon ga nihongo to sukoshi nitemasu.

(L'italiano è difficile ma è molto interessante. The pronunciation is a little similar to Japanese - non posso dire questo in italiano!)